First cycle commute for a while!

Teuchter
Teuchter Posts: 102
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Finally took the plunge and decided to cycle to work today. It's 8.5 miles each way - the longest I've ever cycled to work before. The distance had been puting me off since I moved house though I expected it to be further - it's over 12 miles driving.

I was very pleasantly surprised however! 37 minutes door to door, not bad traffic (though it's a holiday in Glasgow so that will help). Pleased enough with this given my level of (un)fitness and that I'm riding an 8 year old Apollo imitation mountain bike that weighs a ton (well, 17kg). It's only saving graces are the semi-slick tyres and mudguards that I fitted in the past!

I'm going to try to keep up the cycling now and if I do then I'll be looking to invest in a lighter bike in a few months.

I normally commute by motorbike so I'm well used to being in the elements and dicing with traffic - I'm a former despatch rider which is either good or bad depending on your views on filtering!

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the safety nazis, I'll admit that I did "jump" one red light, though I'd describe it more as creeping than jumping as it involved me slowly advancing until I could see through the junction, seeing there was no traffic coming then riding on.

Comments

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Hey 37 minutes is very good on an MTB. Keep it up, not the RLJ bit though! Get your road bike and fitter you'll knock more time off each day.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    That is a great start, just keep at it and your time will come down. A lighter bike will help you go faster, but it doesn't have to be a road bike. My advice is go down your local bike shop, try a range of bikes and find one that comfortable.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Teuchter wrote:
    Finally took the plunge and decided to cycle to work today. It's 8.5 miles each way - the longest I've ever cycled to work before. The distance had been puting me off since I moved house though I expected it to be further - it's over 12 miles driving.

I was very pleasantly surprised however! 37 minutes door to door, not bad traffic (though it's a holiday in Glasgow so that will help). Pleased enough with this given my level of (un)fitness and that I'm riding an 8 year old Apollo imitation mountain bike that weighs a ton (well, 17kg). It's only saving graces are the semi-slick tyres and mudguards that I fitted in the past!

I'm going to try to keep up the cycling now and if I do then I'll be looking to invest in a lighter bike in a few months.

I normally commute by motorbike so I'm well used to being in the elements and dicing with traffic - I'm a former despatch rider which is either good or bad depending on your views on filtering!

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the safety nazis, I'll admit that I did "jump" one red light, though I'd describe it more as creeping than jumping as it involved me slowly advancing until I could see through the junction, seeing there was no traffic coming then riding on.
    Good on yer mate. Keep it up. People who stop at red lights are not "nazi's". We just don't want to die, or kill someone else.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • Teuchter
    Teuchter Posts: 102
    Cheers for the replies. I made it home in similar time despite the heavy rain that developed - lucky I remembered a waterproof jacket!

Appreciate comments about the red light thing. I fully accept the need to approach these safely and not take chances, both with myself and other road users. I know the rules are there for all of our protection but see nothing wrong with taking a more common sense approach at more quiet junctions! That's just me.

Was surprised at the positive reactions of other road users who all seemed to give me plenty of space and not force their way past.