Unbelievable WVM!!!!

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 582
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,

had an unbelievable experience this morning. I was coming down my favourite hill which has a crossroads near the bottom and is two lanes, doing around 32. Two cars waiting to cross from either side, they both wait so i take the primary position in lane 2 thinking this is Ok, when a white excort van pulls out turns left. However he then obviously sees me and drives straight into the left side of the road to get out my way!!!!

Was very surprised.
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

Comments

• Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    I can't visualize this.
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • Rykard
    Down hill into a crossroads. Two cars waiting to go straight across. WV turns left into my lane from behind one of the cars, then sees me in his mirror and bails for the kerb.

| |
    | |
    WVM
    Other Other
    | |
    | |
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    Probably under-estimated your speed.

So, you were in the overtaking lane, the van pulls out from your left, turning to his left and goes into this lane, then moves across into the nearside lane, allowing you to pass?
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • Rykard
    The road narrows to 1 lane in each direction but yes, I was mightily surprised as I was already preparing to go round him.

It was the fact he actually checked his mirrors / looked as he entere the road that surprised me, as it is usually eyes forward for drivers, nothing else exists if they can't see it looking forwards.
    Cheers
    Rich

• WVM being careful!!!

Clearly not a "real" WVM, probably a cyclist unfortunate enough to be in a cage :wink:
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Number14
    Number14 Posts: 3
    Nice to see that he saw you after he turned into your path.

Maybe :roll: he could have looke dproperly before he pulled out and then he ouldn't have needed to pull over :!:
    "Buy a heart rate monitor and see how efficiently you're wasting your energy".
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    We all make mistakes, at least this one realised and made the best correction possible.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Probably best to slow right down for this kind of junction, you just have to be able to know that you can stop if some idiot does the predictable thing and pulls out into your path when your doing 35mph. This is the main reason why when I am eventually voted prime minister I will be removing all junctions from the bottoms of hills.
    ________
    Free gift cards
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Rykard
    I had 'lifted' and I had already taken the best primary position for visibility but he was behind the car going straight across.
    Cheers
    Rich