York - A1237 tactics (Warning, York-specific!!)

JJDLD
JJDLD Posts: 75
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm changing jobs shortly and my commute will take me from Beckfield Lane to Clifton Moor during "rush" hours. I'm a confident commuter, but I was wondering what tactics people use for the Ouse bridge on the ring-road.

Going clockwise round the ring-road in my morning commute, much of the route can use wide cycle-paths off of the road which I'm happy to use. The only part that isn't is the Ouse bridge, which has a stupidly narrow combined foot and cycle path which looks like it could be a right royal pain if you come across a cyclist or ped coming the other way (there really isn't enough space to pass, and dismounting could be irksome). However, if I opt to use the carriageway on the bridge rather than the cycle path, I have to make two right hand turns at busy roundabouts (either end of the bridge) to leave and regain the cycle paths - plenty of SMIDSY opportunities...

Any thoughts from people who use this route?

Ta,

JJ.

Comments

• elinfoot
    elinfoot Posts: 13
    I don't ride that way too often but when I do I just ride on the road .If the traffic is stationary ,just overtake or undertake.Theres usually enough room
  • Number14
    Number14 Posts: 3
    That part of the B1237 is nearly always art a standstill. i'd stay on the road and ride the white line all the way to the roundabout then it's only a short on road section until the next big queue at Clfton Moor.
    "Buy a heart rate monitor and see how efficiently you're wasting your energy".