Hi, new commuter

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Ok, relatively unfit MTBer who used to post on ‘What’.

Looks like I’m joining you guys for part of the week at least.

Couple of weeks back I finally got my new bike. It the new Decathlon road bike with STIs, Sora, double chainset etc for £169, with a 5 year frame warranty.

I’ve been complaining at the lack of opportunity to get out on it, so today I’ve become a ‘fair weather commuter’. Maltby to Sheffield. 15m each way

Felt great when I got to work, starting the working day with the endorphine rush.

Don’t know what I’ll feel like when I get back. But I think I’ll be doing it at least a couple of days a week.

For a comparison the car journey usually takes 30-40 mins, getting to work by bike took me 56

Comments

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Well done, mate. Let us know how you get on with a double chainset on those hilly Sheffield roads (assuming you have to tackle them). I have a triple cos I found the hills a bit tough going me being so unfit an all that.
  • Gambatte
    Think the worst for me is on the way back. The long slow grind uphill from near Halfords at the Rotherham end of the Parkway, which doesn’t really abate till Listerdale/Wickersley.

Strapped the heart rate monitor to the bars, so that may be interesting…
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    :D ...well done...best thing you will ever do...keep at and don't be too hard on yourself, build up to it and if you need a couple of rest days in the car take them...also, you will now be able to eat loads(you need the fuel)...have fun :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Gambatte wrote:
    Think the worst for me is on the way back. The long slow grind uphill from near Halfords at the Rotherham end of the Parkway, which doesn’t really abate till Listerdale/Wickersley.…
    Parkway just wears me out, man. On occasion I've gone up there from Sheff city centre end towards roundabout where it meets M1/J33...but don't let me put you off...keep it up and have a day off if you feel like it.
  • Gambatte
    Yep, got back OK and not put off doing it again.

But I think I'll give it a couple of days to see if anything starts aching and to check over the bike. (its its first decent run)

HR was 158-180, but dropped quickly when I was able to coast
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Welcome aboard :) If you keep at it you soon get the time down so it is close to using the car, but using a bikes a lot more fun :D
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Gambatte
    Plan was that I'd do it once give it a couple of days and then try again, once I'd seen any untoward reactions from my unfit bod getting on a new bike/saddle.

Strange thing was how driving in today I felt like I was cheating?
  • "Strange thing was how driving in today I felt like I was cheating?"

Becoming one of us, welcome to the club... :D
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    That's how I feel. Sometimes I forget and go and get my bike at the end of the day. When it's not there I realise that I have to drive home, how boring.