Question concerning the crank

kelvindavies11
kelvindavies11 Posts: 51
edited July 2007 in MTB beginners
I need to change my a crank on my bike (right hand side). I have done a little research on the net and have found that I need a special tool. However Im skint at the moment so that option is out. Is there any other way of doing it????

Has anyone got a link to a site explaining how to do it or could someone be kind enought to talk me throught it.

I really need to get back on my bike
Thanks,

Kelvin
always need help, always give help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at Park Tools in my sig, and follow the bike map on its page.

There are more than one type of crank, the most common uses an 8 or 10mm allen bolt to secure it - but you will also need a crank extractor tool.

Most cranksets come with the left hand crank as well, best to replace both. Ensure you get one with the correct interface for you bottom bracket - either square taper, octalink, ISIS, or powerspline.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    There's a few ways of getting the crank off if you don't mind destroying it.

The simplest would be to undo the crankbolts and go for a ride. The levt crank will work loose (eventually) and fall off, but not be usable again.

For the right crank, sometimes they can be hammered off, but it takes a painfully long time and doesn't always produce results.

Cutting is the only really guaranteed way to do it without a crank puller. You'll need an angle grinder or similar, though, and you want to cut through to the axle from the side in at least one place.

Crank pullers can be got quite cheap, though. ~£12. I'd be surprised if wherever you're buying the crank from wouldn't quickly pull the old ones off for free.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The bike shop which supplies the crank should let you borrow a crank puller. There are different tools for different cranks - and the shop will advise you accordingly. You will only need the tool for an hour and they're likely to have two or three in their workshop. Most shops will be happy to help loyal customers and such a gesture might attract repeat business. It did with me.[/code]