Glucosamine

BRUN
BRUN Posts: 51
taking this now for my aching knees which didnt improve in over a week

ive only been taking this since Tuesday night and already they feel better

recommended

Comments

• Some people I know swear by this stuff. I have started taking it after a torn cartiledge earlier this year, and tbh, haven't noticed any difference to the normal healing process. However, as i said, some people swear by it so I am going to continue taking it to try to prevent damage to my joints in the future. Apparently it is something you need to take continuously to see any real benefit as it takes 6 months for your body to utilise it. Can't do any harm I suppose!
    paskyhawk Posts: 1
    I use it three times a day when running and once a day when cycling. Had bad knees from Karate as a teen, Fifty now and going strong with no pain.

Rich
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    BRUN wrote:
    taking this now for my aching knees which didnt improve in over a week

ive only been taking this since Tuesday night and already they feel better

recommended

You may find the benefits tail off very quickly, but keep taking it anyway and they should slowly come back. I take quite a few joint suppliments as mine are well shagged and find the most benefit I gain is recovery time after a ride, rather than aching joints for days unless i've done something silly I'm fine the next day.

How much are you taking BTW as you really need something like 2000mg daily for it to be effective. It also needs to be the sulphate variety as I'm told this helps it to be absorbed into the body more redily.
  • BRUN
    BRUN Posts: 51
    yup its sulphate, and 2000mg a day usually but now my knees are a lot better im dropping to 1000mg on some days
  • Hi all,

sorry to burst your bubble but Glucosamine DOES NOT have any noticeable effect for about 6 weeks. You are, however, correct that Glucosamine Sulphate is the one to take and that you need to get an effective dose of 1500mg per day. That mat mean that you need to swallow 2000mg in pill form. The powdered form has a slightly better uptake but it tastes like sh1t! :?

There is some anecdotal evidence that Chondroitin also helps but it has not yet been scientifically proven.

All info from my osteopath...sitting next to me :D
  • BRUN wrote:
    yup its sulphate, and 2000mg a day usually but now my knees are a lot better im dropping to 1000mg on some days

You need to keep the dose up to 1500mg a day...take the 2000mg to make sure of uptake.
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    I took it for about 9 months after injuring my knee running. It made sod all difference. What did help however was starting cycling again. The knee now feels tip top and I am not wasting my money on the glucosamine but I am enjoying some great riding :)
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • I have been taking 1,000 mg per day over the last 3 months and have had no problems with my knees or hips since - used to get problems with both as i have a cartilledge prob in knee and dislocated both hips aged 2 and ever since have had aches, pains and 'clicky-hip' syndrome - no more clicking or pain since!
    I also take 1,000 mg omega fish oils daily.

:wink:
    "If you worried about falling off the bike, you\'d never get on."
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I periodically struggle with runner's knee. I also have an almost-torn ACL, so my knees to give me trouble.

During the tri season, I've found that a Glucosamine sulphate with Chondroitin and MSN (I think?) works really well. A good mate who's an amateur sprinter (and Cyclocross competitor too) put me onto it.

It could just be a placebo - dunno... but it works for me!

I also take flax-seed oil (Omega 3 same as fish, but without the fishy burps and my partner is vego).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Hi all,

sorry to burst your bubble but Glucosamine DOES NOT have any noticeable effect for about 6 weeks. You are, however, correct that Glucosamine Sulphate is the one to take and that you need to get an effective dose of 1500mg per day. That mat mean that you need to swallow 2000mg in pill form. The powdered form has a slightly better uptake but it tastes like sh1t! :?

There is some anecdotal evidence that Chondroitin also helps but it has not yet been scientifically proven.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But you can't discount other people's actual experience. I ride to work everyday and usually push myself pretty hard and get roughly the same travel times/mph etc. My performance was improved on taking glucosamine and it did not take six weeks, but a mere few days to work.
    And so far I've been working every day this year.
  • overmars wrote:
    Hi all,

Sorry to burst your bubble. But you can't discount other people's actual experience. I ride to work everyday and usually push myself pretty hard and get roughly the same travel times/mph etc. My performance was improved on taking glucosamine and it did not take six weeks, but a mere few days to work.
    And so far I've been working every day this year.

Okay...whatever. Placebo is a strong cure, huh? :P
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430

Seems to be working wonders for you thus far.
    :)
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734

Well the reason i said it was a friend at work has has chronic arthritis of the spin can only move his head on a good day about an inch left or right, three days after I gave him som glucosamine to take he could move his head about 4 inches either way. But as I said this tailed off quickly then slowly came back again over a couple of months of taking it.

So no it wasn't a placebo effect as he has physical symptoms not unquantifiable pain and aching.