those chain cleaning gizmos

purpleR
purpleR Posts: 93
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this-

I use EBC's own brand chain cleaning tool + Finish Line citrus degreaser. After use, I rinse out both halves and give them as good a scrub as I can.

The next week, the top half has gone opaque but is still usable... after a few weeks it disintegrates and I have to throw it away [V]

The bottom half is fine though! I've gone through a few now and am considering getting a more expensive one as the EBC ones seem like a false economy. But the bloke in the shop says there's no difference.

What do other folk think?

Comments

• penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I use the Park one and haven't had such a problem.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I use an Oasis drinks bottle half full of degreasant. The bottle even comes with a free drink!

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Triophile
    Triophile Posts: 44
    I bought one of those Barbieri ones (cheap, from Sigma - surely some mistake :-) ) I don't give it much use, but it's been fine (I use it with Eco-tec degreaser).

Cheers, Jon.
  • I use a KMC chain with power link.

Remove chain weekly and wash in solution of washing up liquid and hot water.in old washing up bowl. Scrub with rag - comes up like new. Wear protective gloves - sort you get from Halfords in bulk (as for all bike work).

Dry immediately with cloth and refit, Spray with GT80.

Works amazingly well, wish i had discovered it years ago. I think the key is dry lubricant as it washes off easier - as it does in the rain! Chain needs spray of GT80 every time out in wet - ie every day at the moment.

Got thousands of miles out of chain and cassette.