IT Band Knee Injury

BrightonMTB
BrightonMTB Posts: 15
I'm 5 weeks in rehabilitating from Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome - physio, stretching, full warm-up/Cool down, deep tissue massage and foam roller etc. I've also had a bike fit, cleats set-up, and body-geometry insoled fitted (I'm eager to get out riding again).

Having rested from the bike, for a month. I'm now starting to do short (30mins - 1hr) flat rides, keeping the pedal RPM up, and avoiding overloading.

However, I still have discomfort / pain after an hour or so. :cry:

Has anyone else experienced this injury? When can I hope to be pain free again?

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    5 weeks is still fairly early days... I would continue to take things fairly easy.

I know you say you have had a bike set up but still the most common causes of this are poor cycling position, and cycling position is a very personal thing. Excessive stretching of the outside of the knee is the usual cause and can come from a number of sources.

- Badly adjusted cleat position - toeing your feet in too much.
    - Feet too close together on the bike i.e. narrow BB (can also be caused by having a wide pelvis)
    - Low saddle height or conversely too high
    - Pushing too big a gear

You could try adjusting your cleats to toe out a little more, positioning the cleats further in to push your feet further from the cranks or adjusting the seat position a little. (There's not really a lot you can do a bout the width of your pelvis without resorting to drastic surgery!)

Make small adjustments, one thing at a time so you can figure out what works and what doesn't.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Point taken ... i'll try not to rush things but it is very frustrating! :x