Tyax Super? Any other options around £350?

Crispy5449
Crispy5449 Posts: 73
edited July 2007 in MTB beginners
I'm looking to pick up a bike and get out and about in my local area. i'm a complete begineer and will be riding mainly on local bridleways and in hamsterley forest (which is close).

I originally had budget of £300 and was looking at a choice between the Mongoose Tyax Elite and the GT Avalance 3.0 Disc, but my LBS has the Tyax Supers in at £350 and I'm tempted to stretch to get one of these.

So, is it worth the extra £70 over the elite? The review in MBR was pretty critical of the fork saying it was bouncy.

What else could I pick up for £350 - I was thinking I may be able to bargain the Avalanche 2.0 down to a similar price, is this a good bike as well? Which is better out of this and the Tyax Super?

Lot's of q's sorry, but I'm keen to get an idea of what's good / worth the money or not, so i have a defined shortlist before I go in and try them all out.

Comments

• dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    Which shop are you classing as your LBS?

If you've got a budget because you're planning on paying for the bike in one go, why not use evans or wiggle and get the bike on credit? Thats what i did so obviously meant i could raise my budget.

You might have thought of that already, in which case just ignore me!

As for your questions, i cant help i'm afraid but i'm sure someone will be able to.
  • Crispy5449
    Crispy5449 Posts: 73
    Bike Sport in Darlington (so not strictly the most local, but close enough :wink: ) - I looked at these guys as they were the closest on the hotwheels site that did both GT and Mongoose, so I could do a side by side test. I've also just seen mountain high cycles in Ferryhill do the Mongoose as well so may give them a call and see what they can offer. Is there anywhere else around here worth checking out?

Re the budget, I'd like to stick around £300 / 350 up front, then maybe next year if I'm still into it splash out on a more expensive bike on credit.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    How about a Giant Terrago Disc? You can pick these up for £350, and they're well specced bikes for the cash.
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    If you look at the Giant that S_J_P mentioned, Arthur Caygills in Richmond sell Giant, so may be able to get a good deal there?

Or Bikescene in Guisborough sell Giant (i think). May be wrong though.
  • My mate picked up last years Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo for less than £400.
    Best bike I've ever ridden for the money (though brakes were a little lacking compared to the hydraulic discs I'm used to).
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X