Mont Ventoux

whiskywheels
whiskywheels Posts: 628
edited July 2007 in Pro race
I'm cycling up Ventoux again in a couple of weeks, but this time I want to time myself; on the ascent from Bedoin and Malaucene, where is the 'official' start?

Comments

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    There is a marble strip in the road in Bedoin-just after the RH turn out of the main street.....and the finish...got to be outside the shop at the observatory. Then treat yourself to lunch at the restaurant [:)]

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/ ... 100226.jpg

and be sure to stop at the memorial on the way down

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/ ... 100230.jpg

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • whiskywheels
    edited February 2012
    Thanks Ken.
    "and be sure to stop at the memorial on the way down" The first time I went up I was so delerious I rode past Mr Tom without noticing a thing! I descended the same way, and managed to miss him a second time!
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whiskywheels</i>
    The first time I went up I was so delerious I rode past Mr Tom without noticing a thing!

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

so did I!

Perhaps you can look on the plinth for my "Yealm Rouleurs" laminated cards-I stuck them in a crack when the pics were taken in early Oct last year. I'd be interested to know if they've been blown away

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whiskywheels</i>

I'm cycling up Ventoux again in a couple of weeks, but this time I want to time myself; on the ascent from Bedoin and Malaucene, where is the 'official' start?

www.whiskywheels.co.uk

This might make interesting reading for you
    http://www.veloventoux.com/misc/ttresults.pdf

Brings you back to reality when you check out some of the sprinters times [:0]

Craig

www.montventouxwebcam.com
    www.veloventoux.com
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigenty</i>

www.whiskywheels.co.uk

Craig

www.veloventoux.com

So the slowest professional was 1hr 20min.................... I hate to think how long this is going to take me in July!
    But I'm on holiday and don't have to be back at work for a week after the ride so there's plenty of time.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • jimbarrow
    jimbarrow Posts: 17
    I had a wonderful camping holiday in the Ventoux area a few years ago, you'll have a fab time. I've never cycled in the area though, now you give me ideas ... i'd better go for a ride!
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    Going on Friday for just over a fortnight . Will be taking in some of the Dauphine too next Thurs and Fri . Can't wait .

Luke
    Luke
  • whiskywheels
    edited February 2012
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigenty</i>

Craig

http://www.montventouxwebcam.com
    http://www.veloventoux.com

Thanks Craig, there's also some very good, albeit slightly subjective timings on your site at http://www.montventouxwebcam.com/Hints%20&%20Tips.html which I found very helpful, and I'm sure I've already done the time for a Cat3/4, which makes sense as I'm a vet.
    I just hope I can find that marble strip.
  • whiskywheels
    So, here we go then......off tonight on the overnight ferry, then driving down to Bedoin. But the weather down there looks awful.
    Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
  • craigenty

So, here we go then......off tonight on the overnight ferry, then driving down to Bedoin. But the weather down there looks awful.
    Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

www.whiskywheels.co.uk

Don't worry!
    You just missed the biggest, heaviest thunder storm I've ever seen this morning!
    The forecast for next week is to get progressively hotter and back into the 30's by midweek!

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • whiskywheels
    Craig, thanks for arranging the better weather. [8D]

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
  • PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    Excellent vid on your site whiskywheels - brought it all back!

Craig:- I've got a chance for a week with the bike over in France mid-September; is the weather around Vaison/Nyons area generally still okay then? (I realise this might be a tricky question given climate change....)

Phil B
    Clifton CC York
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Hi Phil, we stayed in Malaucene and Vinsobres last Sept (3-20) and the weather was pretty good. Andrew did Ventoux the first week and it was over 30 degrees on the ascent (thankyou Craig for the bike hire!!) The second week of our holiday we headed down to the Pyrenees but the weather was so awful we only stayed 3 days before heading back to Provence (a second thankyou to Craig & Vicky for telling us about the Sagittaire campsite up the road as it saved our holiday - we ended up renting a chalet there after abandoning the Pyrenees (the indoor pool and water slides kept the toddler happy.)) It did piddle down incessantly on a couple of days in Provence but overall it was very hot.

Cheers, Suzanne
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Enjoy the ride

I did, even with a trailer.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Eu ... 7305276434

I stuck a Bill Nickson sticker on the top and on the Simpson memorial.

I come from the same area as Tom, he was very special to us in Easington, Co Durham

george
  • craigenty
    PhilBixby wrote:
    Excellent vid on your site whiskywheels - brought it all back!

Craig:- I've got a chance for a week with the bike over in France mid-September; is the weather around Vaison/Nyons area generally still okay then? (I realise this might be a tricky question given climate change....)

Phil B
    Clifton CC York

Yes,
    September is usually the best time of year. However! it has been a wierd year so far with some really mixed up weather. 30 degrees one day, 20 the next etc etc.
    We are traversing the Alps in september so it better be fine.
    8)