Help: Done a Fitness Test & concerned with the results..

richa
richa Posts: 1,631
I've just had a fitness test [www.trainsmart.com/metExercise.asp] and I'm a little perturbed by the results:

Aerobic Base / Fat Max HR = 97bpm
Anaerobic/Lactate Threshold HR = 138bpm
RQ1 HR = 152bpm
HR Max = 182bpm
VO2 Max= 63.0

My stats are:
Height: 5-10
Weight: 81.6kg/12st-12
and thought I was relatively fit...
[My stats for the Dragon Ride: 193.5km, 7:17, 26.5kph, 143 Av HR, 167 Max HR]

Yet, suprised at how low my LT is... Doesn't seem to bode well for next week's Etape?

I would be grateful for any assessment of what these test results all mean.
Rich

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Firstly, hasn't whoever did the tests for you told you what the results mean?

Secondly, why are you worried about the Etape because of these test results? If you've done the training and understand your capabilities as a cyclist, now is not the time to start worrying about the results of tests which probably have little relevance to your Etape performance.

Thirdly, the lactate threshold as measured is probably not the lactate threshold people often talk about on forums like this. There's a lot of confusion about the term. Most people use it interchangeably with what many people call 'functional threshold power' or FTP. But sports scientists have a completely different definition which is based on the power at which your blood lactate level begins to increase above normal, non-exercising levels. This is much much lower than your FTP which is the threshold at which you are clearing the lactate at the same rate you're creating it.

Fourthly, BMI is a crude measure which is not always trustworthy, but yours is high for a fit cyclist. Have you considered this in your prep for the Etape?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I'm not sure that any of those results are particularly useful even if you knew exactly what they meant - it's far too late to feed anything like that into a training program. It's also too late to get lighter to help with power/weight.

I'd just work on what you know you can do based on your current condition and results in the Dragon ride etc. No point stressing about something you can't do anything about.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Firstly, hasn't whoever did the tests for you told you what the results mean?

Secondly, why are you worried about the Etape because of these test results? If you've done the training and understand your capabilities as a cyclist, now is not the time to start worrying about the results of tests which probably have little relevance to your Etape performance.

Thirdly, the lactate threshold as measured is probably not the lactate threshold people often talk about on forums like this. There's a lot of confusion about the term. Most people use it interchangeably with what many people call 'functional threshold power' or FTP. But sports scientists have a completely different definition which is based on the power at which your blood lactate level begins to increase above normal, non-exercising levels. This is much much lower than your FTP which is the threshold at which you are clearing the lactate at the same rate you're creating it.

Fourthly, BMI is a crude measure which is not always trustworthy, but yours is high for a fit cyclist. Have you considered this in your prep for the Etape?

Bit late for that isn't it? And from my calculation this guys BMI is 25 - top of normal. Considering that muscular athletes often have a raised BMI then it seems a bit OTT to be suggesting to the poor bloke a matter of days before an etape that he is overweight.
  • BeaconRuth
    Bit late for that isn't it? And from my calculation this guys BMI is 25 - top of normal. Considering that muscular athletes often have a raised BMI then it seems a bit OTT to be suggesting to the poor bloke a matter of days before an etape that he is overweight.

I'm sorry you feel that mentioning BMI is OTT. I wasn't suggesting he should/could do anything about it before the Etape. I just asked whether he has given it any consideration in his preparation. Given that he presented a load of data and asked what it all meant, I don't think asking a relevant question in relation to the data is unreasonable.

25 is at the top of normal for the general population but it is a level which is high for an average endurance cyclist - though I accept that other measures are better and more relevant than BMI. It may be that the OP has considered it and feels it's not an issue for him - I was only asking.
  • richa
    Guys, many thanks for the feed back. Much appreciated.

So, here's some more info...

1)
    The tester has emailed me info on what the results mean, but, more from the point of view of weightloss and what this means in terms of how to set my training for weightloss. I was more after trying to understand what LT meant in terms of how hard I should push myself next week in a 10 hour event.

2)
    I am not too worried about the Etape - because I know it is too late to do anything about my fitness, I intend just to continue my taper. However, if this data could tell me anything that would allow me to help pace myself that would be useful (i.e. I gather that in this type of event it is ideal to be getting most energy from fat-burning, hence I may want to stay below LT to ensure this is the case???)

3)
    I guess from your post that FTP HR is key as if my lactate level isn't building then it is OK. What might my FTP be?

4)
    I'm well aware of my BMI and it does concern me a little. NB I am quite "big boned"!! However, I was 15st-11 (100kg) in January (BMI=31.5) so I've made some substantial inroads in the last 6 months to get down to 12st-12 (81.5kg, BMI=25.6).
    Rich
  • BeaconRuth
    Thanks for explaining more Richard. I'm not sure the tests really point to anything particularly useful for pacing of the Etape. Personally, if I was riding it I wouldn't use a HRM and would ride purely on feel - but the best strategy is to use the pacing technique you're used to. If what you used in the Dragon worked, maybe you should use that - adjusted for the extra duration of the Etape.

(FTP is around the kind of intensity of effort you'd use in a 25-mile TT - so it's harder than you should be using in general for a long event like the Etape.)

You've clearly made very impressive progress with your weight - many congratulations and good luck with further weight loss based on the test results.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Hi Rich,

Don't worry about your results, you have obviously come on a lot in the past six months, these things take time so just keep up the hard training, be good in your dietary habits and you will continue to make good progress. Good luck in the Etape, wish I was doing it too!!
    ________
    Suzuki Satria Specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    anyone know what RQ1 HR is..???
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Your vo2max number is cracking. I'm suspicious of the AT/LT number, regardless of how you define LT given your high level of fitness.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • richa
    Mark,

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. Not sure why the LT & RQ1 are so low. But pleased with the VO2 Max (i that is accurate!)
    Rich
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    RichA wrote:
    Guys, many thanks for the feed back. Much appreciated.

4)
    I'm well aware of my BMI and it does concern me a little. NB I am quite "big boned"!! However, I was 15st-11 (100kg) in January (BMI=31.5) so I've made some substantial inroads in the last 6 months to get down to 12st-12 (81.5kg, BMI=25.6).

WOW! That is really impressive progress in six months. Sorry to go off on a tangent but how did you manage it? I'm reading stacks about correct nutrition while cycling but not seeing an awful lot about how much to eat if you want to cycle a long way but lose weight as well.
    Good luck in the etape.
  • richa
    Popette,

I managed it with a combination of:

- Having a goal (Etape) to keep me motivated.
    - Eating/drinking sensibly (you won't lose weight fast on curries & kebabs...)
    - Exercising. A lot. Average 9+ hours/week for this year.
    Rich