Global Warming Version 2

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited July 2007 in Campaign
Take the point about lack of options on the original, one more added.

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    its happened in the earths history before, its going to happen again and again and not going to stop. get over it. 30 years ago people were worried about global cooling.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Gingersaurus
    Gingersaurus Posts: 466
    clarkson wrote:
    its happened in the earths history before, its going to happen again and again and not going to stop. get over it. 30 years ago people were worried about global cooling.

I agree with that completely.
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    Any of you chaps actually know anything about climate science? i.e have you ever read anything from reputable scientific source?
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    You're kidding, right? In Soapbox? These guys would be taxi drivers if they weren't too busy on the interwebs.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    If you go to the BBC Radio 2 website, click on the link to Jeremy Vine and then listen again to Wednesday's show there is an interesting debate between Tony juniper from Friends of the Earth and Phillip Stott from the University of London. You need to fast forward to 1:08 to catch the start.

Stott makes some very good points, particularly with regard to the findings of study groups who are not heard because their views are not particularly fashionable.
  • mjones wrote:
    Any of you chaps actually know anything about climate science? i.e have you ever read anything from reputable scientific source?

Since when have you had to know anything about the subject to be an expert when on the internet...
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    clarkson wrote:

No, scientists weren't - at least not in anything like same degree as with global warming now. There was one scientific study which indicated potential global cooling which got taken up by the press and blown out of proportion. The group concerned later admitted they'd got it wrong.

Go to http://www.realclimate.org and educate yourself...

It's amazing just how many people know nothing about this, but feel able to expound their ignorance at great length. There was a recent poll by MORI which showed that about 50% of people thought there was significant disagreement amongst scientists about whether global warming was happening. There simply isn't.

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • there's going to be another ice age in 10,000 years anyway.
    The mitigation of global warming is only to attempt to make the earth habitable before it sets in.
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    There was a study done that looked at the articles on climate change in the mainstream media, and whether they accepted the science or were sceptics. The ratio as I recall was 1:1 so perhaps it's not surprising that the pub experts on here and the general public also seem roughly divided in the same even split.

But as MJones and FM have said, there simply isn't much disagreement among those who actually know something about it. Compare the study above with the one that looked at the level of consensus within peer reviewed papers by climate scientists. The agreement was close to 100%.

I would suggest that before the sceptics start posting the same tired fallacies, they go to http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html and educate themselves in the basics first.
  • Watching Questiontime last night, that had a young audience, my perception was that when climate change was discussed it was seen as pretty much fact as no-one was questioning that side of it. The question was on why we need a concert for it.

So the young don't appear so sceptical which is a good thing.
  • Watching Questiontime last night, that had a young audience, my perception was that when climate change was discussed it was seen as pretty much fact as no-one was questioning that side of it. The question was on why we need a concert for it.

So the young don't appear so sceptical which is a good thing.

I watched it aswell, that Douglas Murray one was great! :D The kids didn't like him much though and he had a pop at Davina a couple of times which was quite funny... I also love the way he visibly sighed when Davina was on a rant.
    During the bit about whether 16 year olds should get the vote, he actually had the balls to say "I'd only not give them the vote if they were some greeny lefty liberal types" !!!
    Go on that man!
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    They say that middle age arrives when a broad mind and a narrow waist swap places. I think it's come early for Mr Murray.