Powerlink question

aba2005
aba2005 Posts: 487
edited July 2007 in MTB beginners
I added a powerlink to my HG 73 chain which works fine.

I got a used cassette with the used chain which was also a HG 73, however on this chain the powerlink seems loose on the chain (chain seems thinner than). I think this chain is older than the chain i've got although it doesn't look old. So have shimano made changes in their chains that would mean a powerlink would fit better on the newer versions?
"You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what colour power link is it?

for 9 spd it should be gold. 8/7/6 are sliver.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aba2005
    they are both 9 speed chains with gold powerlinks. Thats why i don't understand the difference in fit.
    "You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
  • Woody2
    Woody2 Posts: 32
    It could be that Powerlinks are part of the Sram set-up and not Shimano. They fit both makes - but perhaps Shimano changed their chain dimensions rather than the Powerink having variations. Or it could be that the older chain has worn itself thinner.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    I find that chains wear faster than powerlinks.
    So after a couple of months the powerlink is a bit loose (side-to-side movement).
    Then a few weeks later it's time to replace the chain as it's stretched :-(
    So maybe that's what's happened to your chain. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html (Measuring Chain Wear section) to check if this is the case.

If anything, I've found shimano chains to be slightly wider than sram. As I've struggled to get powerlinks on them.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    There's supposed to be some lateral movement, it's what allows gear changing. As long as it's not excessive, don't worry.
  • wwjjtt
    wwjjtt Posts: 204
    aren't hg73 chains thinner than the hg53? i'm not 100% with chains but that may be something to do with it.
  • aba2005
    problem solved! The chain had a dodgy link pin so that was what was causing the problem. Got the pin posted and it works fine now.

Thanks for your help everyone.