An interesting proposition for C+ers

Mister Paul
Mister Paul Posts: 719
edited July 2007 in Campaign
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=135299

Read Krypton's post towards the bottom. What do people think?

Comments

• Rhythm Thief
    Rhythm Thief Posts: 2,787
    Sounds good to me. Next best thing to my idea of letting us all back in to carry on as we were.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    I prefer cyclechat because of the lack of ads. Other than that is is pretty much the same as this one. (I can't block ads at work which is where I most want to!)
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Sounds like a good idea.
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Looks much the same as this one, why bother?
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Because it's much smaller, and you don't have to sift to loads of threads and responses.
    As the title of a famous environmental book says: small is beautiful....
    If only for that reason it appeals more than this place
    A few points: The threads last longer...more time to spot if busy at work.... less attractive to casual browsers therefore statistically less chance of being hijacked by SS/troll/idiots
    I alrady thought c+ was too large esp the know how sections- a thread could be shunted off the page in 1/2 hour-what chance of people reading it never mind replying
    We need a smaller more intellellectually challanging unit sorry if that sounds elitist but I can only see this site going the other way...who was it that said the internet disproves the old monkeys and typewriter argument :wink:

Either way I'm not hanging around here...C+ regular good folk please feel free to mail me if you find somewhere suitable

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    I've tried to sign up to cyclechat, but haven't had the confirmation email yet - Krypton, if you are reading this, should I have had an automatic reply? I'm wondering now if I've made a balls up and typed my email address wrong or something...
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    Yes, you should get an email with an activation link. Don't worry though, I've approved you and set a password for you - just change it with your profile.

I've PM'd your password to you on this forum :)
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 469
    Well I've joined it.

C+ wasn't broke as far as I could see, so I don't know why it needed fixing.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 469
    Well I've joined it.

C+ wasn't broke as far as I could see, so I don't know why it needed fixing.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
  • Paul
    Paul Posts: 2,719
    None of the 'other' forums (WMB, MBUK etc) were broken either. Grouping them all together like this just earns Future Publishing more advertising revenue.
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    phpBB is fine until it the database gets to a certain size, then it starts to crash on a daily basis - it happened on a busy forum I moderate on so we dumped it in favour of http://www.simplemachines.org/ which is a zillion times more reliable !

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Gary Askwith said:

"...who was it that said the internet disproves the old monkeys and typewriter argument" :wink:

It was Robert Wilensky, at a conference in 1966.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. "
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • is it going to be a live chatroom?
    That might be quite a good idea.
  • Joe Sacco
    is it going to be a live chatroom?
    That might be quite a good idea.

Not if you're allowed in it :D
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Well, this is all a bit peculiar. :?

Maybe it just takes some getting used to...
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Shut the door on your way out :arrow:
  • Nick H.
    Nick H. Posts: 15
    I think I much prefer anothercyclingforum.com. All it needs is a few more people. Having said that, a lot of the people already there are very very knowledgeable and helpful so it's probably already better than C+ was for technical help, purchasing advice and so on.
  • Archcp
    Krypton wrote:
    Yes, you should get an email with an activation link. Don't worry though, I've approved you and set a password for you - just change it with your profile.

Cheers. Actually, I quite like the one you sent me... :wink: Do I have to change it?
  • Joe Sacco
    Archcp wrote:
    Krypton wrote:

Cheers. Actually, I quite like the one you sent me... :wink: Do I have to change it?

You run the risk of someone else stealing your profile and posting under it (not the biggest risk in the world though and I guess only Krypton knows it!)
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    Arch: Nope, you don't need to change it.

Everyone else: "I know something you don't know!" :lol:
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    The old C+ site was technically quite poor, but so is a newspaper. It was easy to read and post, the only things I didn't like were the silly archiving, and the lack of embedded images. Apart from that it worked fine.

As for adverts on this forum I haven't seen any - I use Firefox with adblock and flashblock.

This forum is very ugly. Difficult to read, slow, badly laid out. Marks out of 10: 2
  • Archcp
    Krypton wrote:
    Arch: Nope, you don't need to change it.

Everyone else: "I know something you don't know!" :lol:

hee hee.

Cool, then I may keep it...