26*1 1/4 or 1 3/8

belgiangoth
belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
edited June 2007 in Road general
I'm doing up a bike, the front rim is rusted to cracking but the back rim has a morkable if darkended rim under a fat layer of rust. I have strugled to source a front 32 hole 26*1 1/4, but I have been offered the option of some AL 26*1 3/8 rims which would brake better and be about the right period.
I'm not sure about the wheel size change though, I expect it would fit, but would it be a "downgrade" to go to 3/8 from 1/4?

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
</font id="size1">

Comments

• Personally I'd go with the ally one(s): a bit bigger so less "sporty" in their day I suppose, but lighter and they will help you stop!

Keep watching th'ebay for some x1 1/4s in the better material.

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    if you look at http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#fraction and sjsc you'll see that these aren't the same diameter, although you might expect them to be.

the 26x13/8 option will give you a better choice of tyres, certainly from sjsc.
    the difference, probably, isn't enough to worry about aesthetically* but will the brake calipers accomadate? i.e. can the blocks move 4mm nearer the hub?

*only you can decide this
  • belgiangoth
    hgf, with a difference of 7mm in diameter I reckon 3.5mm would be possible. Sheldon rates the two as running with 37mm tyres/tires, which means that neither are significantly wider than the other. The real issue for me is whether 3/8s were considered an inferior size to a 1/4 race rim, or whether that's just not true.

In fact, shockingly, the forks could take up to a 27" diameter, though it would be a struggle to get the brakes to work.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    </font id="size1">
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    26" * 1 1/4 rims are as rare as rocking horse poo, if you can find a pair Constrictor alloy examples go for around œ80, chrome Dunlops a bit less but are highly prone to rust. This sizing is not available new, whereas 1 3/8ths is.

The difference in section sizing of the tyre is noticable - 1 1/4 was a 'lightweight racer' tyre whereas 1 3/8 was/is a quite beefy Roadster beast.

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

26" * 1 1/4 rims are as rare as rocking horse poo, if you can find a pair Constrictor alloy examples go for around œ80, chrome Dunlops a bit less but are highly prone to rust.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

indeed, are there any even half decent tyres available, if some rims were found?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hubgearfreak</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

26" * 1 1/4 rims are as rare as rocking horse poo, if you can find a pair Constrictor alloy examples go for around œ80, chrome Dunlops a bit less but are highly prone to rust.

indeed, are there any even half decent tyres available, if some rims were found?

If you go for 26 x 1 3/8 then you can get some nice rims for a reasonable price thanks to them still being the preferred size for cycle speedway.
  • belgiangoth
    I've got a number for a place that does the 3/8s alloy new, and can source 1/4s, but only in rusty 36 holes. The rear rim I have is a rust (I mean chrome) dunlop, in fact if you look here you'll see the "mostly rust" and "less rust" before and after pics.

As the bike is really old, but has been changed from original spec throughout it's life, I'm half tempted to try modern brakes and see if I can run 650s, or something "crazy" like that. But then I prolly wouldn't use the 3-speed hub in favor of fixed/free at which point why use the dynohub instead of a shimano one, so why not just trash it completely ... ?

</font id="size1">
  • belgiangoth
    The difference in section sizing of the tyre is noticable - 1 1/4 was a 'lightweight racer' tyre whereas 1 3/8 was/is a quite beefy Roadster beast.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I assumed as mcuh, though I think that the width of tyre is about the same, it's more that 3/8s were standard on mass produced bikes, while 1/4s were the racer's choice.

</font id="size1">
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    "indeed, are there any even half decent tyres available, if some rims were found?"

My everyday bike is 26 x 1 1/4. LBS stocks schwalbes in this size, as do SJS - good tyres and good value for a tenner. Front rim is not quite 100% so am considering a rebuild in 26 x 1 3/8.