bike fingering etiquette

in the wire
in the wire Posts: 79
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Whilst buying my first road bike in a shop a couple of months back, a South African fellow customer seemed interested in the model and asked 'May I?'.

Thinking he was going to actually sit on the bike I nervously urged him to go ahead. Instead he just inserted a couple of fingers under the handlebars and jiggled the front end to gauge the weight.

A work colleague didn't ask permission and gave it a good shake stating, 'I thought it would be lighter than that'.

New next door neighbour, who said he wasn't even into cycling gave it a tentative little titillation after a cursory conversation.

I've started doing it myself at the bike rack at work (alone) and was just wondering whether this is anything to be ashamed of and whether there is any sort of accepted etiquette.

Comments

• I have had so many people want to try my bike because it has a Rohloff gear!!!!

Its common, just learn to live with it.

george

Europe
    http://europejibi.googlepages.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

Its common, just learn to live with it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes.. well, aherm, I *have* heard it happens to other guys but would still be interested to hear about other people's experiences.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    some guy fingered up my condor's top tube in a bike shop the other day.

i let him do it, but watched him like a hawk.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2vx78q
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wouldn't let anyone finger my bike have to say, hands off matey.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    I find people who are obsessed with picking up bikes to 'weight' them tend to have very limited bike knowledge.

Doc
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drhaddock</i>

I find people who are obsessed with picking up bikes to 'weight' them tend to have very limited bike knowledge.

Doc

When I worked on tryout roadshows, we always noticed that some people assess how good a bike is primarily by squeezing the brake levers. Not sure what it tells them. Mind you, sometimes the fact that a bike has brakes is a revelation to some of the yoof element...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drhaddock</i>

Doc

Seconded, some bloke on a real clunker asked if he could "see how much the bike weighs" when i did the L2B, still he seemed impressed but I did feel it was necessary to point out that the 2 bidons and stuffed saddle bag made it heavier![:D]

My Best Bike