My "New" Track bike

belgiangoth
belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
edited June 2007 in Road general
My LBS used to be owned by a guy called Shane. He'd only taken over the shop for a couple year's when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and he died last year. His brother and father now run the shop and they have recently started selling Shane's old bikes.

I had gone in to see if they could help me re-fit an old Raleigh Hack/fixed when I saw this. I would have had to spend 50-130 pounds to get the hack working, they only wanted 50 for the track bike.

Origionally it had a freewheel on the back wheel, tubular tyres, and the front brake came apart on me on the way home (joy!). I'm thinking of swapping the freewheel on the tubs to a fixed and running with the tubs (once I get spare tubs, tufo tape and scealant) but for not I'm running spare wheels with 700*25 tyres (and paper-thin clearances). I need a longer seatpost though.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
</font id="size1">

Comments

• Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Nice. What size is the chainring it looks huge.......
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    *Cartman voice* Schweeeet.
  • Nice. Looks a lot like my old Carlton frameset. Mine was all white though with no chrome bits. The only real difference is that the track ends on yours look shorter than the ones on mine.
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Iirc (without popping out to the shed) the chainring is 51 with a 16 tooth fixed wheel - I struggle uphills, but this is *obviously* because the seatpost is too low ... guv.

Yeah, looks like the track ends are really short, almost as iff they've been sawn off for some reason.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    *Envious* I paid œ35 for a lower end Carlton road bike on ebay recently, you've got yourself a bargain and a half

Danger ! Men at work
  • frustruck
    frustruck Posts: 373
    [:p]
    Love the grease port on the BB shell. That the original chainring? It looks great.
  • steverile
    steverile Posts: 514
    Nice bit of history to keep on the road :)