Decathlon After Sales - Any good?

Shaky
Shaky Posts: 50
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi everyone. This is my first post as I need some advice from your wise heads!

Recently bought a Decathlon Sport 2 to use for commuting. It runs really well apart from one annoyance. Whenever i'm running on the middle/large cog at the front and the larger cogs at the back (gears 1 to 4), and lift a pedal upwards (i.e. backwards) to set off from a standing start, the chain will jump across to a smaller cog at the back. When I then start pedalling, it clunks back across to where it should be (not good at a busy set of traffic lights [V]). I suspected it was the angle the chain was running at, so took it to my LBS (who are very helpful) to give it the once over. They confirmed that the chain line was out, and the best solution was to fit a narrower/shorter bottom bracket to bring the front cogs nearer the frame and reduce the angle. They said they could do it for œ40, but suggested I take it back to Decathlon and take it up with them first. I was just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem with Decathlon bikes, or have experience of their after sales service as I think I might be wasting my time taking it back to them.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Always remember, it's better to be pixxed off than pixxed on.
"Take me Garth"
"Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Well firstly, I have a Decathlon 7.1. I swapped it to flat bars, and took it to my LBS to get it set up properly. They said that the chain line was out. They also said that these days it isn't so much of a problem as chains are more flexible, so a lot of manufacturers aren't too concerned with getting the right sized BB on.

Secondly, I've always had exceptional after sales service at Decathlon.

Let us know how you get on.

• Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    I've only used Decathlon in Belgium, but their aftersales service was pretty good. In one instance they gave me a new bike because my kid's bike's front fork had cracked after only a month's light use. Their mechanics generally seems to be fairly competent when you buy a bike and go to their workshop to get it set up.

UK (or even another branch) may be completely different though.

You get a free service within 3 months of buying the bike from Decathlon so take it back and get it sorted. I did with mine and its now fine

"You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."
    "You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive."