Tufo tyre sealant

Mark.Scp
Mark.Scp Posts: 514
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Hi all,

Can you apply tufo tyre sealant to the tyre (tubular) before you get a puncture - or does it only work when you apply it after a puncture.

So, simply - If i get a puncture on my tubular tyre, i get out the tyre sealant, screw (?) it on to the valve and squeeze. Will it then seal the puncture, allow myself to pump up the tyre and roll on?

Do i have to wait a bit after applying the sealant for it to dry, or can i simply pump the tyre up straight away?

Many thanks

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
la marmotte xD

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    No, put the sealant in the tyre - it would be way to messy to try and get it in the tyre after the event. The sealant is a natural latex that seals small holes from the inside. Best way of getting it into the tyre is to remove the valve core and use the top-half of a syringe as a funnel. Do not try to inject with a syringe, it just bubbles up and goes everywhere.
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    I've used it once to repair a puncture on the road. I hadn't realised, but the tub had worn down to the kevlar band in a few places. I schooshed the sealant in, rotated the wheel, pumped it up a bit, rotated the wheel, and then pumped up to pressure. I could see the sealant bubbiing up a little onto the surface of the tread in a few places. I wasn't sure this was the correct way. I think you're meant to rotate the wheel until the puncture (and sealant) is at the bottom, and leave it there for a few seconds. It got me home!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Best way of getting it into the tyre is to remove the valve core and use the top-half of a syringe as a funnel..

Mine came with a valve core remover taped to the tube of sealant.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I used it last year and kept finding little whisps of sealant on the bike. Where this came from I dunno - maybe it had sealed small holes without me noticing ? But it would mean that the tufos had suffered more than their fair share of punctures.

Was useless when I hit a nail with the tub though. And I'm not convinced about getting tubs for weight saving and better rolling resistance, and then shoving goo inside it ? That cant be helping matters can it ?