Campag Centaur Rear Hub

hugo15
hugo15 Posts: 1,101
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Took my rear wheel to the LBS as the hub felt a bit rough. Picked it up tonight and they have told me the surface inside is pitted and a new hub will be required [:(]

So I have looked on Ribble and they have a 2006 Centaur Hub for œ65 or a 2007 Centaur Hub for œ48. Anyone know what the difference is to mean the 2007 one is cheaper than the 2006 one?

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Yep...2007 Centaur uses cartridge bearings and is exactly the same as the 2007 Veloce and Mirage hub. (except the skewer and colour respectively).

Your best bet would be to go to an LBS that knows the bearing surfaces are replaceable on 2001-2006 Record, Chorus and Centaur style hubs.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

ooh ambassador, with this baby elephant you are really spoiling us!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • hugo15
    Thanks Rob. Not quite sure what year mine are. Might be 2002 or 2003. Do you know if the surfaces are the same for both these years?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If you download the spares catalogue from the Campag website, you should be able to compare part numbers, but I suspect that your hub inserts are the same from 2000-2006 - the 2007 hubs are different
  • hugo15
    Monty Dog - just had that thought too and they are the same. My LBS are always really good and I am surprised they didn't suggest that the cups should be replaced. I am making a bit of an assumption that it is the cups that are pitted. They just said "the surface" was pitted when I picked them up. Think I will give then a call tomorrow now I know a bit more what I am talking about and have a chat with them.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    The cones are more likely to be pitted than the cups, and they're much easier to replace. Although maybe the cups are pitted as well. I've posted a fuller reply to the "other place".

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>