advice on internet bike shops

celticstorm
celticstorm Posts: 24
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi All,
Nearly a fortnight ago i ordered a shimano 105 hollowtech 11 triple chainset from a supposedly reputable online bike shop and paid for it by CC .......Guess what item has'nt arrived.
I phoned them yesterday and was basically mugged off and told that it would be dispatched yesterday or they would let me know via E-mail...No e-mail was recieved and on checking there on-site tracking it still states order pending.
I was just wondering if any of you good people out there know what my rights are and can give me any tips on the best way to deal with this situation.
I would normally just phone them and tell them to cancel the order but i really need the parts.
Sorry if i sound dumb but i've never used the net for purchases before.

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Well you can just tell us who it is, that's not a problem. It sounds like the item is out of stock at your supplier but that there is some poor communication going on. If you feel that you are being fobbed off then ask to escalate the issue up to management as you are not satisfied. If nothing is forthcoming demand your money back and go elsewhere, there is no excuse for being ignored and/or fobbed off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Free gift cards
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    classic problem, they don;t keep their stock online up to date and take the order and payment and then mess you about

Amazon did it to me recently, I was furious

I buy loads online too
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Most shops are excellent. Ribble had some problems, but have sorted their online ordering system and it is much better. I think the only hassle I have experienced was with David Hinde. Through perseverance, I got the correct parts, just a little slow. Thankfully, they were not urgent but an upgrade.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    I have ordered lots of stuff from Wiggle, and their web site does give the amount of stock that they have at the time of the order. I have never had any problems with them. Who are the company that you are waiting to receive the goods from?

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • The company is BikeBitsuk or International Cycle Components as they answer the phone with.
    I would'nt normally bother but my original crankset exploded so I really,really need the part urgently.
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    Tynan - don't forget ordering through Amazon - unless it is books - goes to the company who is selling that part - Amazon is just a shop-front if you like; when you're inside you're buying direct from an independent trader normally.....

I had a similar thing (kinda) with a washing machine and dryer. I was fobbed off and lied to, and although had paid upfront, then went as far as speaking to the credit card company, to get the payment cancelled. They said they would have to check it out with the supplier, et voila, company called with delivery that week. Which they didn't meet, came the following week.... Have you paid them??

Really the only thing you can do is name and shame, which is pretty damaging anyhoo.... (which I know you have done!!)

<font size="1">Haszn lat ut n hideg v¡zben mossa ki, ‚s t”r”lje sz razra. Ne hagyja k”zvetlen napf‚nynek kit‚ve.</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Email and send a letter to The Mangaing Director. Politely explain the situation and demand either the goods or a refund within 14 days.

(Normally I would say 7 days, but the postal strike may delay things).

That's all you can do at this stage. Threaten to sue then actually sue if they carry on messing you about. This is possible online these days.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • thanks guys,
    phoned them again and spoke to the MD he informed me that it has definately been dispatched and should be there tomorrow as the courier they use won'nt be affected by the postal strike.....
    so we will wait and see.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    Sure things chops but I consider Amazon to be responsible as they show the items on their site, when I groaned at the third party supplier for not having an item in stock, he refunded me with apologies and said they they had no control over the Amazon site showing their items being in stock when they weren't, amybe a lie but he sounded genuine

had a nightmare getting a dab radio lately which dragged on for four weeks, eventually cancelled the order and reordered from someone else who delivered within 24 hours for less than Amazon, they're nilking their brand name now I think

not again for me
  • Have wiggle stopped using the post office for their free deliveries?
    No chain, no gain
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">That reminds me, I must chase Amazon about the book I ordered in February 2006!!!!!

PS. Amazon are usually a lot better than this.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosschops2</i>

Tynan - don't forget ordering through Amazon - unless it is books - goes to the company who is selling that part - Amazon is just a shop-front if you like; when you're inside you're buying direct from an independent trader normally.....

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i don't think this is true. Most of the stuff Amazon sells is from them direct. If you buy off the Amazon Marketplace (often used for electrical goods) then it comes from a third party.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Amazon usually say if they are selling on someone else's behalf. A lot of their cycling stuff is from Wiggle, and they state clearly that you are buying it from Wiggle. Don't know why you would though, as you don't get the free delivery or the 10% discount.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....