Pinnacle Bikes

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have finally convinced a friend of mine to join the cult of cycling and he is looking to get a decent but not too pricey (~œ500) entry level bike.

Specifically he has been looking at this little number:

http://www.pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/Bike-Ra ... tentId=356

It seems like a standard entry level bike with a Sora groupset and Trek 1000 spec components and wheels. Question is, are Pinnacles any good, or would he be better off buying something else at this level (e.g.Specialized or Bianchi). He's asked me for advice, but all bikes at this price point seem much of a muchness for me and I've never even seen a Pinnacle bike before.

Any sage advice from the forum gurus?

TdG

Comments

• urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    Are you near a decathlon?
  • He can get to one in Canary Wharf (if that still exists)

TdG
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    they had some nice bikes at that mark lat time I looked, and seemd better specced then most I had seen
  • œ500 is too much for a Sora bike, I'd look elsewhere!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Timoid</i>

I have finally convinced a friend of mine to join the cult of cycling and he is looking to get a decent but not too pricey (~œ500) entry level bike.

Specifically he has been looking at this little number:

http://www.pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/Bike-Ra ... tentId=356

It seems like a standard entry level bike with a Sora groupset and Trek 1000 spec components and wheels. Question is, are Pinnacles any good, or would he be better off buying something else at this level (e.g.Specialized or Bianchi). He's asked me for advice, but all bikes at this price point seem much of a muchness for me and I've never even seen a Pinnacle bike before.

Any sage advice from the forum gurus?

TdG
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Giant? [Economist]Economies of scale mean they can usually spec a bke best at any given price point[/Economist]

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Aren't Pinnacle Evans' own brand bikes? They seem very overpriced compared to the competition.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    For œ500 you want to have a look at the Specialized Allez. As far as I'm aware Pinnacle are Evan' own brand and on that basis alone I'd steer clear; I have found Evans to be universally useless. They sold a friend of mine a Specialized Globe a few weeks ago and the stem and bars had not been properly tightened which could have had fairly disastrous consequences, when he went back they said it was "natural" for things to loosen up after a few hours!!

My Best Bike
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Point him to the Wiggle website and the Univega Via Laser. Full Tiagra group (without exception) for œ420. It's a brilliant bike, I'm very happy with mine. Wheels are a tad heavy but perfectly true, 2007 Tiagra is easily as good as, if not better than, the old 9 speed 105. Nice carbon fork and plenty of exposed seat post smoothes a lot of road buzz. It won't suit label queens, but if you just want a cheap competent road bike, you can't go wrong at the price. No mudguard clearance though.