Curious about number of gears...

CraigDcp
CraigDcp Posts: 12
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

I have 14 speed (double/7) Dawes road bike (giro 300 / sora sti set up) and in the 4 months (and only 300 miles) that I have had it, I seem to have constant bother with gearing issues...

Having failed to sort out myself, took it to my LBS this weekend and went out last night, only 2 or 3 gears run "smoothly" (i.e. with no grinding or rubbing noise).

I know not to ride with the chain at an extreme crossover but I thought only the very large/small or very small/large combinations should really be problematic.

I seem to be constantly shifting at the front to find the right gear and just wondered how many gears on a set up like this should run "smooth". I pass loads of other cyclists when I'm out and their bikes all seem to glide past silently!!

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• A 2x7, especially if you avoid the TWO extremes, should IMO/E run just fine! Have you tried setting it up from scratch, including chain length and front and rear mech stops?

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Could there be some other problem, maybe worn components?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Marijuana seeds
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • CraigDcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davej</i>

A 2x7, especially if you avoid the TWO extremes, should IMO/E run just fine! Have you tried setting it up from scratch, including chain length and front and rear mech stops?

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's what I thought! I did have a go (with the aid of the park tool website etc) but I'm just not mechanically minded, hence taking it to the LBS who I thought would simply sort it out. I guess not...

Craig
  • CraigDcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Could there be some other problem, maybe worn components?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

I don't think so - bike's only a few months old and I can't see any (visual) evidence of wear and tear.

Craig
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CraigD</i>

I know not to ride with the chain at an extreme crossover but I thought only the very large/small or very small/large combinations should really be problematic.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you really mean large/large and small/small? This is where the extreme crossover is, rather than what you said above (but maybe you meant the opposite..).

Generally I would only ride on three or four cogs to each chainring. So the three or four smallest with the big ring, and the three or four largest with the small ring - so you don't really get 14 gears on a 14 gear bike.

Someone will be along in a minute with some better advice. [:)]
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Have you had any mishaps with the frame where the rear gear mechanism could have been knocked i.e. crash / fall - if the rear mech hanger is out of alignment it can be pretty well impossible to get any gear to work. The rear mech jockey-wheel cage should be both vertical and parallel with the centre line of the frame - if it isn't take it to your LBS who have a tool for checking alignment and getting it straight.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I have the same Sora gears on my 2nd bike, and <i>all</i> of the gears run smoothly. Even on the extreme crossover.

SNAPS
  • CraigDcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by little miss mac</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CraigD</i>

I know not to ride with the chain at an extreme crossover but I thought only the very large/small or very small/large combinations should really be problematic.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you really mean large/large and small/small? This is where the extreme crossover is, rather than what you said above (but maybe you meant the opposite..).

Generally I would only ride on three or four cogs to each chainring. So the three or four smallest with the big ring, and the three or four largest with the small ring - so you don't really get 14 gears on a 14 gear bike.

Someone will be along in a minute with some better advice. [:)]

I did mean that, yes (sorry if unclear)!

I understand that 14 "speed" won't produce 14 gears and that there is inevitably overlap anyway, and pretty much use the range that you have said. However, at the moment, only 1 or 2 gears within each range actually runs anything like smoothly or without rubbing or grinding noises being thrown out.

Craig
  • CraigDcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

Have you had any mishaps with the frame where the rear gear mechanism could have been knocked i.e. crash / fall - if the rear mech hanger is out of alignment it can be pretty well impossible to get any gear to work. The rear mech jockey-wheel cage should be both vertical and parallel with the centre line of the frame - if it isn't take it to your LBS who have a tool for checking alignment and getting it straight.

No mishaps (although I've just converted to clipless so I do expect a few shortly!), but I'll check this tonight. Thanks!

Craig
  • Steveorow
    Steveorow Posts: 162
    I take it you are using the trim function associated with the front derailler ? With Sora this is by pressing the button lightly on the LHS STI . You should hear a click but the ring should not change . THis move the front derailller about 1mm which stpos the chain rubbing the derailller .