Posting Handlebars

jonnywilkinson
jonnywilkinson Posts: 356
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi All,

Has anyone got any useful tips for sending handlebars through the post? Or is it just a case of bubble-wrapping and covering with brown paper?

Cheers

Jonny
FGG #2545 & #2983
Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Don't forget to put a stamp on too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    MOTORCYCLE TIRES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    and for some odd reason....I found it cheaper to put them in a box from corner to corner, than to post them length ways !!

It's true, but it may depend upon the courier.
    Jas

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • thanks for that Dom - top advice!

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • thanks Jas - will try find a box that's up to the job.

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    The above advice is not top if using the Royal Mail because because it'll count as a "Packet" in either case. It will be cheaper to post in a bag because that will be much lighter.

A jiffy bag (or bubble wrap & brown paper) will be adequate pacakging as long as no one sits or stands on it!, though a box may make your recipient feel better.

Packing with blocks of expanded polystyrene is a third and lightweight option.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • good point Pete - wasn't sure that you could jiffy bags big enough. will be using Royal Mail in any case.

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    There are huuuuge jiffy bags, but two smaller ones could be taped together.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    I'd put them in a box, but then I'm a postman, and I know how the stuff gets treated when it goes through the system. Also, in a box they'll likely be delivered by van. Any other way, the postie might have to jam them in his bag, increasing the chance of them getting scraped along a wall or other such accidental damage. It all depends how much they're worth I suppose, a box will be heavier and may cost more to post.