'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
And I'm really built for speed
Built for speed

Comments

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    Yes, just like the Labour scum that tried to rig postal voting systems.
  • "Proof that the Tories are the scum of the earth"

No, proof that one individual student is a thoughtless idiot.
    Keep going, so far you only tick one of the two boxes.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    The comment seems rather mild compared to some of the references I've seen on here about dancing on Maggies grave etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    From the article it hardly seems that she was rejoicing in the man's death (a la dancing on grave syndrome) more like seeing a window of political opportunity which has arisen as a result of his death. You do have to wonder about the press in cases like this i.e. they've seized upon some comments which can be misinterpreted and then aired them. It is that which is likely to cause offence and stress to the bereaved, not the fact that a political geek reacted in a geekish way.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Yep....
    You really have to get with the agenda here.

Tory - Scum ofthe earth, sleaze, corruption, lies

New Labour - Well meaning,but mistaken, ill advised, poor judgement, spin

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

Yep....
    You really have to get with the agenda here.

Tory - Scum ofthe earth, sleaze, corruption, lies

New Labour - Well meaning,but mistaken, ill advised, poor judgement, spin

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pol Pot - Principled, consistent, man of the people.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    We could talk here about "good days to bury bad news".
    Or just accept that a politician is a politician is a---you know what I mean.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • The Roadster
    The Roadster Posts: 579
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

disgraceful, just totally beyond the pail [:(!]

Don't really care but...

"beyond the pale"

Comes from the Pale, an area of 20 miles or so around Dublin in the 14th and 15th centuries. Those from beyond the Pale were considered less than those from within it being mainly Gaelic speaking peasant types.
  • Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    I don't understand all this fuss about sleazy British politicians. They are no better or worse than the rest of the world's politicians, just a good deal more subtle about it. Apart from a few isolated exceptions politicians are self-serving, corrupt, sleazy, adulterous and a disgrace to the principles they claim to represent.

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If you knew your Cambodian history, you'd know that Pol Pot was precisely a man of the (predominantly rural) people.

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Roadster</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>
    Don't really care but...
    "beyond the pale"
    Unless he meant, "from just the other side of that bucket" [;)]

<font size="1">Haszn lat ut n hideg v¡zben mossa ki, ‚s t”r”lje sz razra. Ne hagyja k”zvetlen napf‚nynek kit‚ve.</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    "the desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one."

billy connoly

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

"the desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one."

billy connoly<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">How very elegantly put by the Big Yin.

Mind you, he's also been in some pretty dodgy films...
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If you knew your Cambodian history, you'd know that Pol Pot was precisely a man of the (predominantly rural) people.

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
    Alas, no , he wasn't a man of the people. He was one of the very few university educated Cambodians of the time. The French didn't want to educate the people in case they got uppity - indeed, the literacy rate was worse after the French Indochina empire than before they arrived. When he was studying in Paris he came across some intriguing documents. Behind the invading French army came a legion of anthropologists whose job it was to demonstrate the backwardness of the people, and hence the god-given civilising mission of the French Empire.

The anthropologists went out into the jungle, and in doing so discovered temples like Ankar Wat and Ankar Thom, sat all by themselves in the jungle. From this, these 'scientists' deduced that huge cities had grown up around the temples, and that this was due to the use of advanced irrigation techniques, which had enabled larger rice harvests. The collapse of the irrigation system destroyed the cities, and the people abandoned the temples.

Pol Pot was a nationalist, first and foremost. He decided to rebuild the irrigation system, and taking control of Cambodia got everyone out in the countryside labouring on the schemes. Due to incompetence, people started to slowly starve to death. Political opposition was ruthlessly countered, to the extent of putting mesh around the stairwells in the torture centres, so that people couldn't commit suicide by jumping to their deaths.

Eventually, he was overthrown because he involved himself in Vietnamese politics, and the Vietnamese demonstrated just how much they had learnt from the USA. It was the USA who supported Pol Pot as an anti-communist third-party.

In the end, the irony was that the irrigation scheme could never have worked. The Cambodian cities had grown up purely because of the weakness of Cambodia's neighbours. When the weakness disappeared, so did the Cambodian empire and the cities that it supported. It was due to the fact that Pol Pot was a revolutionary intellectual, as far from the ordinary people as it was possible to get, that led to the deaths and destruction on such a wide scale.

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

"Proof that the Tories are the scum of the earth"

Wheelies ARE cool.
    I agree. Politics does something to people. It often makes a lot of otherwise normal people behave in a very strange way.

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigWomble</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

Wheelies ARE cool.
    I agree. Politics does something to people. It often makes a lot of otherwise normal people behave in a very strange way.

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow

A bit like getting behind the wheel of a car then [V]

Or posting on Soapbox for that matter [}:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed
  • Trollcp
    Trollcp Posts: 14

http://tinyurl.com/2te2j8

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed

Absolutely beyond the pail. Well kicked, in fact.

Must go kill anahab.
    I\'ll go back under my bridge now.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigWomble</i>

Wheelies ARE cool.

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow

A bit like getting behind the wheel of a car then [V]

Or posting on Soapbox for that matter [}:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed

No, you still only tick the one box.
    Despite my desire to be polite, it seems that I need to point out that the box ticked is the one that marks you as an idiot.

Keep trying.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Bcp
    Bcp Posts: 1,163

Alas, no , he wasn't a man of the people. He was one of the very few university educated Cambodians of the time. The French didn't want to educate the people in case they got uppity - indeed, the literacy rate was worse after the French Indochina empire than before they arrived. When he was studying in Paris he came across some intriguing documents. Behind the invading French army came a legion of anthropologists whose job it was to demonstrate the backwardness of the people, and hence the god-given civilising mission of the French Empire...

I seem to remember that Pol Pot was actually a trained pastry chef (trained in France) - but don't know if that's true or just urban myth.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigWomble</i>

Alas, no , he wasn't a man of the people. He was one of the very few university educated Cambodians of the time...

...It was due to the fact that Pol Pot was a revolutionary intellectual, as far from the ordinary people as it was possible to get, that led to the deaths and destruction on such a wide scale.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Interesting contribution - thanks. I suspect you know more about this than me [:)]

I was a bit loose in my phrasing. What I meant to say was that Pol Pot came to power because he exploited the resentment felt by the majority of poor, rural Cambodians towards the small French-speaking, city-dwelling, educated elite. So while he may not himself have been <i>of</i> the people, he mobilised the people so that many saw the terrible events of his revolution (the forced evacuations of cities, the killings for the crime of wearing glasses) as justifiable acts of revenge rather than the simple brutality it was.