Bike Post costs

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Does anyone have any idea as to the postal costs and a suitable carrier to send a bike? It would be from Glasgow to Yorkshire - which might be, at a guess, say 300 miles!

It doesn't need to be a next day delivery - 3 days would be fine!!

<font size="2"><font color="purple">This is my bike:</font id="purple"></font id="size2">
<font size="1"><font color="red">Bike Pic 1</font id="red"></font id="size1"> <font size="1">Bike Pic 2</font id="size1"> <font size="1"><font color="green">Bike Pic 3</font id="green"></font id="size1">

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I got a bike sent to me (east Scotland) from the south of England and postage was IIRC œ13 (and some pence) - packed in a cardboard bike box obtained from LBS. Took 3 or 4 days to arrive.

It was a fixed bike so probably the cost would be more for a bike with groupset.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

I got a bike sent to me (east Scotland) from the south of England and postage was IIRC œ13 (and some pence) - packed in a cardboard bike box obtained from LBS. Took 3 or 4 days to arrive.

It was a fixed bike so probably the cost would be more for a bike with groupset.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cheers for that - who was the carrier? I imagine a groupset would only add maybe an extra 1.5Kg or so (but sometimes I supose thats enough to treble the price with these things!!)

<font size="2"><font color="purple">This is my bike:</font id="purple"></font id="size2">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">Bike Pic 1</font id="red"></font id="size1"> <font size="1">Bike Pic 2</font id="size1"> <font size="1"><font color="green">Bike Pic 3</font id="green"></font id="size1">
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Royal Mail is always cheapest for these kinds of things - just try to disassemble the bike to pack down as small as possible so that you don't go over the size limits for standard parcel post.
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    I sent one by Parcelforce for a tad over œ15m they come and collect it too, save carryin a big awkward box to the P.O. only to be told it is too big for them.