Helmet

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi All,

really enjoying my roadbike but find the helmet i have (Cheap Giro) too hot even in colder weather. Can anyone recommend good vented helmets at a reasonable price. Also any good websites to buy helmets from?

Hope you can help.[:)]

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use a MET, lots of vents, which is what you need.

Comfortable, also what you need.

You need to try before you buy, LBS or Halfrauds.

I wouldn't buy a helmet on line unless i know it's right

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    There is a problem here!

The best helmet for protection is a solid shell, as you increase the ventilation, you compromise the protection by weakening the structure.

Some companies like Giro and Specialized add carbon cages to correct for this.

The important thing is to realise this and look at the standards that the helmet has passed as well. A simple EN1078 is a far inferior test. Look for others, especially SNELL

The standards are explained at:
    http://www.bhsi.org/#standards

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Ravenbait
    Ravenbait Posts: 13,064
    AFAIK, just so you're aware, all Specialized helmets conform to the higher standard. I've got the S1, which I only use for racing, but I've not had any problems with it despite a strong tendency to overheat.

You do really need to try for shape, though. You might want to give Catlike a go. I'd have one but they don't fit the shape of my head.

Sam

<font size="1"><font color="teal">The cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley:</font id="teal">

http://ravenfamily.org
    <font color="purple">"<u>You</u> might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"</font id="purple">

http://gentlemencyclists.org/clubhouse
    <font color="purple">"Ya'd think we could just attract ants, like normal people."</font id="purple"></font id="size1">

http://ravenfamily.org
    "You might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"
    http://gentlemencyclists.org
    "Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Giro Pneumo is a good 'un, about œ70-œ80now, loads of good Bell ones for œ50 plus, all made to the ANSI standards.

I've got the Giro Pneumo and find it very good. In summer just need to press the inbuilt headband towards my forehead once mid ride (drip excess sweat off), where a previous helmet I needed a headband ! I need a wind proof skull cap in winter to keep my head warm !
  • Cunobelin
    Slightly OT....

Wot you need under the helmet is a Buff

I have a couple and they work in both summer and winter. In particular on a hot day for your commute home.:
    Wet the Buff
    Wring it out
    Place it in a "sandwich bag"
    Place in freezer or fridge
    When you leave, remove and wear - wonderfully cooling

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I have a bell sweep-r that i use when i am racing that ir very well vented and comfortable. From what i understand though all the higher priced helmets are pretty good, it just depends which manufacturer's models fit your head best.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

• Cunobelin
    Actually - many of the cheaper helmets offer as much if not more protection than the expensive ones!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Garybee
    The OP was asking about ventilation not protection.

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

best ventilation then is to not wear a helmet.
  • Garybee
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

best ventilation then is to not wear a helmet.

If someone wants a helmet and wants it to allow their head to keep reasonably cool that is particularly unhelpful advice. Well done.

• Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

Slightly OT....

Wot you need under the helmet is a Buff

Ah, so that's what Noodley looks like! [:)]

I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The OP was asking about ventilation not protection.

Before this degenerate into a helmet debate.....

This is <b><i>Beginners</i></b>and the OP has asked about helmets.

Ventilation and protection are so closely entwined in helmet design that you canot have one without compromising the other. To suggest that he protection should not be discussed or raised is to close down the advice to a specific "yes or no" type of answer..

That defeats the point of this part of the forum.

The assumption and it is just that is that the OP has decided to wear a helmet and I have assumed that they are doing this because they have decide that it can offer them some protection.

Therfore advice on the compromise is valid, helpful, constructive and does not insult, undermine or ridicule the OP and their choice.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    I use a Specialized helemet, loads of ventilation, even on hot days I don't find I get too sweaty on my head, it's comfortable and light too.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    The Giro helmet I use off-road or when cycling with the kids is a reasonable compromise, although not especially cheap - about œ55 if I remember correctly. For ventilation, obviously the more holes the better, provided it is from a quality supplier.

On road, on my own, without commenting in any way on safety (a personal thing) I find them all too sweaty and uncomfortable and prefer a cap, hat or nothing depending on the weather.
  • I know they cost a bit, but Giro Atmos are very well ventilated

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I have a Giro Atmos which I only wear when I have to, i.e. for races that require them. It has to be said that it keeps ones head extremely cool, possibly cooler than no lid at all due to the funnelling action. When not racing I find that nothing beats the feeling of the wind in your hair (those of us who still have some [:D]). In strong sun or rain I use a traditional peaked cycling cap and for those really chilly days a nice Lycra skull cap that also covers the ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Lyme Disease Forums
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I wore my Bell Sweep R for the first time this morning and noticed a huge difference, the first couple of miles the top of my head was actually chilly, a lot better than the MET I had been using for years. Chainreaction are doing them for œ65 which is a bargain!

SNAPS
  • I wear a Giro Pneumo when forced to by event organisers, its pretty comfortable and not too damn ugly.

As I have no faith in any used helmet standards or their ability to protect me, I don't wear one when not required and I don't look for a specific standard.

I do wear caps on and off during rides though; I don't like the pirate look of buffs.

TdG