London cyclists on youtube: harmful to our cause?

Giant Rider
Giant Rider Posts: 17
edited December 1969 in Campaign
Someone sent me this link. Yes these couriers are skilful or dare devils but their antics is a stab in the back for law abiding cyclist

Comments

• Sorry forgot to post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2JnErCbJE
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Harful to your cause maybe, but I don't think everybody shares your cause.......

Does Jaywalking bring pedestrians into disrepute?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    This is not typical of London cycling or commuting. An American film maker organized a race between couriers.

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/kellys.html
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    As I have said before - Peter Sutcliffe wore black lace-up shoes

That doesn't make anyone who wears the same a mass murderer.

This is more of a "youtube" problem with the "Jackass" mentality, and on the same poor level of judgement as the speeding car and motorbike videos.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    will someone tell me they watched this and didn't enjoy it?
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    Have to confess I did enjoy it, but don't condone it, I'll stick to my moral high ground thanks...
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

Does Jaywalking bring pedestrians into disrepute?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmmm. Among some people on here, I reckon 'yes'! Everyso often a thread (often on Commuting) mentions pedestrians and there are always cries of "Bloody dopey peds, wandering into the road...." I'm often a pedestrian, and I don't wander into the road. Neither do any of the people I'm regularly out and about with on foot. But to listen to some, all pedestrians are dancing along the kerb like Gene Kelly, plugged into ipods...

BTW, I had the opportunity to speak to a group of primary school children on Friday, while someone else was doing a talk about cycling, and my contribution was to chip in an remind them how important it is to LOOK before you step ou, because of the near silence of bikes, and to remind them that even grownups forget sometimes, and they shouldn't. So I'm doing my bit...[;)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    you are not talking about jaywalking, you're talkling about idiots who wander into the road. Jaywalking is a deliberate move, you are aware of what you are doing.

The couriers are not just lazily weaving all over the road not knowing what is going on........

My Bikes My Commute
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I thought you could only jaywalk in America, or perhaps on a motorway here, but not on the public highway.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • _Bonj_
    _Bonj_ Posts: 39
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

I thought you could only jaywalk in America, or perhaps on a motorway here, but not on the public highway.
    You can jaywalk wherever you like - it's just not a criminal offence in the UK except on M-ways.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

you are not talking about jaywalking, you're talkling about idiots who wander into the road. Jaywalking is a deliberate move, you are aware of what you are doing.

The couriers are not just lazily weaving all over the road not knowing what is going on........

My Bikes My Commute

Point taken. In which case I don't think I ever see anyone 'jaywalking' (I think there's also a difference of opinion on whether you can do such a thing as a pedestrian in this country, having a right to be on the highway, and whether people are actually talking about it as a legal definition, or just a handy word to hurl at folk). Pedestrians in the road I see all tend to be there in an absent minded way - either crossing without looking, or stepping off a pavement to avoid or overtake another pedestrian - or in many parts of York, thinking they are in a pedestrian zone, when they're not.

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    The one at the end gets a can of coke chucked at him. I'd have punched the cyclist's lights out, sniggering as they threaten other people, freakin idiots.
  • Mollie
    Mollie Posts: 90
    I didn't enjoy it but it does go some way towards explaining why the London based media lump all cyclists together and loath us. Well done - the hatred you inspire arrives in my city in the newspapers and ticks another box in the minds of the kinds of drivers who feel justified in treating law abiding cyclists like ****.

Tom.
  • Classic33
    Classic33 Posts: 374
    Lousy riding/bike handling in the multi story. Overshooting exits & entrances. One appears to have ended up in the wall at the bottom on the way out.
    Did the Police stop any of them, given the near miss.

Riders like that are an accident wanting to happen.
    Classic
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    Idiots. They endanger not only themselves but everyone else around them, including other innocent cyclists who might just be on the end of road rage arising from such idiocy.
  • A recent survey of London cyclists produced some shocking and anarchic results. It appears that many cyclists, while being the first to accuse motorists of not sticking to the letter of the law, are hypocritical.

The findings were that:

- 78% of cyclists admitted to deliberately going through red traffic lights more than once a week
    - 70% admitted to regularly cycling without lights, with 62% of these claiming that it was "cool"
    - 67% admitted to deliberately trying to run down a pedestrian at least once
    - 66% reported having tried to stop cars getting past at least 5 times
    - 52% admitted to carrying a knife
    - 39% reported having vandalised cars at least once

Paul Smith of the Safe Speed campaign said: "This just shows that cyclists abuse the roads and have no right to use them, which is why I hate them all."

We would have published a comment from Spindrift or some other Cycling Plus troll, but none of them are famous enough, or have produced a shred of evidence to support their dubious claims.
  • Mollie
    Mollie Posts: 90
    Sounds like a recent survey of London cyclists who had agreed to appear in a video in the hope of emulating the antics they had seen on YouTube of New York couriers and who wanted to impress their friends with their wild and outrageous answers. Where on earth did you find such completely bogus statistics?

Tom.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Poppadoppaloppa Copper</i>

A recent survey of London cyclists produced some shocking and anarchic results. It appears that many cyclists, while being the first to accuse motorists of not sticking to the letter of the law, are hypocritical.

The findings were that:

- 78% of cyclists admitted to deliberately going through red traffic lights more than once a week
    - 70% admitted to regularly cycling without lights, with 62% of these claiming that it was "cool"
    - 67% admitted to deliberately trying to run down a pedestrian at least once
    - 66% reported having tried to stop cars getting past at least 5 times
    - 52% admitted to carrying a knife
    - 39% reported having vandalised cars at least once

Paul Smith of the Safe Speed campaign said: "This just shows that cyclists abuse the roads and have no right to use them, which is why I hate them all."

We would have published a comment from Spindrift or some other Cycling Plus troll, but none of them are famous enough, or have produced a shred of evidence to support their dubious claims.

It has also been established that 83% of statistics are made up.

Bikes are traffic.
    Bikes are traffic.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

will someone tell me they watched this and didn't enjoy it?

Simom L2, I watched it and didn't enjoy it.

I kept waiting for one of them to collide with a bus or for one of the peds they nearly knocked over to punch their stupid lights out. Would of been much better then [;)]

Danger ! Men at work
  • Don't know if anyone realised, but at 1:26 there is a police car coming round the corner. While they are cycling on the wrong side of the road, idiots. Good thing no one had a nasty accident (i think). Not as good as the new york video. That rocks. [:)]

"In 1949, 34 per cent of miles travelled using a mechanical mode were by bicycle"
    "In 1949, 34 per cent of miles travelled using a mechanical mode were by bicycle"
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Perhaps I saw it wrong, but it seemed to me that the cyclist pushed about by the peds at the end was actually not involved, and going the other way.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Perhaps I saw it wrong, but it seemed to me that the cyclist pushed about by the peds at the end was actually not involved, and going the other way.

thats not important. We are all the same in certain peoples eyes and that kind of riding don't help. IMO[V]

The older I get, the better I was
  • Crossing Tooley Street the other day as a pedestrian on a Pelican crossing in my favour, a courier came by without slowing and did a neat swerve around me as I walked. For a nanosecond I thought of actually stopping in front of him and seeing what he did then - unfortunately it would hurt me as much as it would hurt him. :-(
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Fantastic lemmestrian moment in Kensington recently - group of slightly merry peds wander right out in front of my wheels. I screeched to an impressive halt, and called to them (quite restrained) to be a bit more careful. I'd stopped about a milimetre from one chap's gonads. His response? "What's the matter, it's not like you're doing a hundred miles an hour!"

Yebbut it would still have blo<i></i>ody hurt - both of us - if I'd hit you at twenty!
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Not my cause.............. I don't have one
    I live and let live and want others to do the same for me.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

Fantastic lemmestrian moment in Kensington recently - group of slightly merry peds wander right out in front of my wheels. I screeched to an impressive halt, and called to them (quite restrained) to be a bit more careful. I'd stopped about a milimetre from one chap's gonads. His response? "What's the matter, it's not like you're doing a hundred miles an hour!"

Yebbut it would still have blo<i></i>ody hurt - both of us - if I'd hit you at twenty!
    Yeah, I'm sure. Hey, I bet it would have been even worse if you'd been in a car. But never fear, I know what would make it all safe: a 20mph limit. Then you'd only have hit the person at...twenty. Hey presto, no more accidents, ever.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist_Tony</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

Yeah, I'm sure. Hey, I bet it would have been even worse if you'd been in a car. But never fear, I know what would make it all safe: a 20mph limit. Then you'd only have hit the person at...twenty. Hey presto, no more accidents, ever.

I wish I had a stalker NOT

george

Europe
    http://europejibi.googlepages.com