Paint under that paint

belgiangoth
belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
edited June 2007 in Road general
Still with my restoration job, I have found out that not only was the bike red, but it had some sort of decals and stuff. Can anyone suggest a way to remove only the top layer of paint to get to the decals and paint below?

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
</font id="size1">

Comments

• boly
    boly Posts: 71
    Not sure about the history of this restoration so forgive me if what follows doesnt apply. I wanted to expose some original decals recently and this worked - not sure the original stove enamel was covered by "two pack" which is supposed to be a pretty resilient paint job. Nitromors followed by a very moderate heat from a hot air gun bubbled up the top coat leaving the original reasonably intact.I didnt leave it on too long so there was not much time for it to react with the "good " layer. Some cutting back compound finished the job, not 100% but maybe worth a try? I used water based nitromors cos it washes off easily with a high pressure steam cleaner. work in a verilated area though cos if not you'll likely to get a bit dizzy with the fumes generated from the hot nitromors.! maybe worth trying a patch under the BB first....
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Thanks for that, I will start from the back and work my way forward...

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">