Strida

Cesii
Cesii Posts: 22
edited June 2007 in Road general
Hello all, I was interesred in buying a strida.
Check it out, it's cool!
http://www.strida.com/
Should I? It looks really cool, folds up like a buggy and can replace the 45 min bus journey to my train station.
Because I can take it everywhere I don't need to leave it outside for the theives to play with.
Or should I just spend my 300 quid on a decent normal bike?

I see elephants
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I see elephants
Pimp my Duchamp

Comments

• Hmmm, not sure about the looks myself.

Have you looked any of the more well known folders like Brompton or Dahon?

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/
    http://www.dahon.com/
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Buy a 'real' bike -the design of the strida means it's seriously compromised as a bike - what other bike means that as you need a greater saddle distance, the seat gets lower? At least test ride one before you commit your readies - suggest you try another folder like a Brompton or Dahon as a comparison. Prices for Dahons are less if you buy one on ebay from Germany, for example.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have two Strida 1s and they are fun, light and nippy.

But..........................

Beacause of the way they fold, if you miss the catch at the bottom of the front tube, you break the drive wheel.
    It is not fast and if you try an apply too much pressure, the drive band jumps
    Raisingthe saddle height shortens the distance between the seat and handlebars. This mat make it very cramped and if you have long legs (I'm 6'2") the knees hit the bars

I would simply suggest that you should ride one. If the bike suits you then buy it,as it is a fun thing to ride.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • the website implies that you can have a free trial period, buying the bike if you like it or returning it if not.

might be worth going for to find out how you get on with it, then you'll know if its for you or not.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Thinking a bike is cool is the best reason for buying one ever.
  • Saw one of these being raced at the Smithfield Nocturne last night and it just looks silly! [:p]

not like you and proud of it
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Remember they are single speed (55 GI) and this compromises them IMO - good in flat towns and cities, but not so great elsewhere.

They can be wheeled very easily, which is an advantage if you do not like carrying Dahons etc.

The belt drive should last for 1000s of miles, but there have been reported problems with the hub brakes...

Folders
  • Cesii
    Thanks all for the replies! you are lovely!
    I looked at sensible, "real" bikes before, but they seem so bulky and heavy. I know they are much more sensible but this one seems so much more practical and commuter friendly. I would never even consider something like the A-bike. But the Strida...
    I just don't want to make an expensive mistake if it turns out to be a rubbishy bike.
    I think I should just do what Random Vice and Cunobelin suggest and do a free trial....
    Thanks again all

I see elephants
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • Cesii
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by straightedgeandy</i>

Saw one of these being raced at the Smithfield Nocturne last night and it just looks silly! [:p]

not like you and proud of it
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Strangely, I agree with this but I will call it new and trendy...

Palinurus, thank you. I will remember that!

I see elephants
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Top speed is very limited and the handling can be a bit twitchy. Do not try to stand on the pedals - you will scrote yourself on the top of the 'A'. Learn from my mistake.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Strangely, I agree with this but I will call it new and trendy...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not new - mine date from the early 90s!

I bought both second hand, one in 1990 and one in 1992. The former was bought by the original owner in 1998 or 1989.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cesii
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

Do not try to stand on the pedals - you will scrote yourself on the top of the 'A'<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ooh this sounds painful. It doesn't go fast? How quickly does it go?
    Will it get up to about 15mph?
    Cunobelin, apart from the stuff you mentioned is there anything else I should look out for? is it as light and portable as it promises on the website?

I see elephants
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    You would struggle to do 22+ on the flats, but 15mph is fine at a reasonable cadence.

PeeJay is C+'s resident Strida expert - I defer to him on matters relating to folder utility and aesthetics.

Folders
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    thanks origamist.

a strida? lovely bike. like sitting on an oversize set-square powered by a rubber band. i like the idea of buying a bike and getting a free degloving of the scrotal region as an upgrade. and also the idea that one slight mistake and the whole thing snaps in two - sounds like fun.

15mph at a reasonable cadence - i.e 250rpm. i hear baudelaire used to ride one on his nocturnal perambulations around the 9th arrondissement.

[;)] didn't want to disappoint, kierkegaard....

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2vx78q
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv