Halfords bikes

cyclinggirl
cyclinggirl Posts: 196
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Been to Halfords today and was looking at getting a new mountain bike. They had a couple of Apollo's and a Raleigh that I quite liked the look of.

I have heard Apollo's are not that good only from reading a few posts on here.

I only do 15 miles at the moment but need a new bike as the one I have got is 8 year old, really heavy, no suspension etc. Got 15 gears, only 12 work, lol.

Any opinions anyone[?]

Comments

• Chris boardmans new range has just hit Halfords and the MTB's look really good - nice design on the crossbar (diamond shaped) very distinctive and well equiped too

my evil toad army will rule the world
  • cyclinggirl
    Yeh saw all of the Chris Boardman ones but a bit out of my pice range, they did look very nice though.

I only want to spend about œ170 max.
  • my wife has an appolo and it does what it says on the tin. They will never be the most sought after bikes on the planet but they are functional and well priced. It is quite heavy though. But i think for the cash you cant go wrong.

• Have you had a look at the Giants within your price range. Even the budget ones still have fairly decent frames and tend to be a bit lighter than the alternatives?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/details.aspx?id=5461
  • cyclinggirl
    Didn't really notice any Giants, was looking at the ladies ones, I really want a nice pink or light blue one.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    THe problem with Halfords is their Apollo bikes tend to be heavy and unwieldy.

Others like the Carrera Subway ar actually quite reasonable quality.

To be quite honest any local bike shop will provide you with a reasonable bike within your budget.

The other advantage with a local bike shop is it will usually be possible for you to have a ride on the bike, ensuring that it is comfortable, and suits you.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    My husband has a carrera subway and although I mock it, it's done him really well. But I do agree with Cunobelin - if you can support your LBS it's a better long-term strategy!!
  • My wife borrowed a Giant Yukon rom the thetford cycle hire centre. It was an excellent bike v good frame design and light.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • The carrera mountain bikes get really good reviews...especially the fury but I suspect that might be out of your price range, but also the kraken... If you have a decathlon near you, have a look at the rockriders. If you buy from halfrauds, you risk very dodgy mechanics and service depending on your local store, so you might be better off with a trip to a proper lbs. And no, don't get an apollo!!!!

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!
  • bianco
    bianco Posts: 78
    Try decathlon if theres one near you. Paid œ135 for mine and its got sora gears, shifters etc and is pretty nice
  • Hiya,

It all really depends on how much you cycle.

Raleigh bikes are not the bikes they were a few years ago, as they use loads of cheap parts.

I made the mistake about 5yrs ago and bought a raleigh from Halfords. Within 2 yrs of using it for commuting 4 miles each way I'd knackered it. Headset and bottom braket needed replacing, as did most of the gear stuff (sorry ... I'm not a techie).

If you really are just doing a few miles it might be OK. Might also be worth hanging fire until they start bringing out the 2008 models and you might be able to snap yourself up a bargain and geta much better bike (be about aug/Sept time) if you can wait a while.

Lou

Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!
    Zummerzet Lou

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    if you want a cheap but sturdy bike, then i strongly recommend you go to decathlon.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyclinggirl</i>

I only do 15 miles at the moment but need a new bike as the one I have got is 8 year old, really heavy, no suspension etc. Got 15 gears, only 12 work, lol.

Any opinions anyone[?]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Firstly, 15 miles... a what? Day? Week? Year?[;)]

And there's nothing wrong with no suspension... Can't tell from your posts if you are looking for suspension, but generally, unless you regualrly ride rough surfaces, suspension (especially on the lower end of the price range) adds weight, and makes the bike performance worse, by soaking up your energy. A good saddle and tyres should be all the suspension you need....

I started out on an Apollo ladies town bike, and it served me for a few years - albeit altered rather by a new friend when I came to University - more comfortable saddle and handlebars and so on. It might be going still, if it hadn't got nicked. But that was bought 10 years ago, so the quality may have gone down since. And it wasn't a mountain bike, so while it wasn't the lightest, it didn't weigh a tonne.

But for your money, I would have thought you'd find a more reliable brand. And Halfords do sometimes have a bit of a problem in terms of service, staff with the brains of amoebae etc. (Apologies to Halfords Wizzkid[;)] - I said 'sometimes')

A local bike shop should always be a better bet than a motor parts store with a bike section. Have a look around.

Finally, choosing your bike by the colour... Hmmm...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyclinggirl</i>

Any opinions anyone[?]

depends where you cycle. Do you need all 15 gears? Do you need suepension (If you ride on road you don't). More gears and suspension just make a bike more expensive, not more suitable. A cheap raleigh or appollo will also be really heavy, event more so with suspension.

If you ride on the road then a service at a good shop and some slick tyres could make a big difference.

If you need a new bike, then you need to make sure you spend enough to not just get a new version of you current bike:-)
    Mike
  • I would be inclined to try and stretch to œ200 for this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... id=Frogoog

œ20 of free gear with it as well, so in theory it is only œ180 - not sure how much the postage is.

Dan
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    The Carrera mountain bikes are good, I had one.

It's very very true that you get what you pay for.

The extra few quid for the GT or Edinburgh Bicycles ones that have been posted up would definitely be worth it, in my humble opinion.

You could add the Merida Kalahri to your list in that price range.

I think that might have been the WhatMTB magazine's budget bike of the year last year if memory serves me correctly.

You might even get a fully rigid Specialized Hardrock for œ200.
  • cyclinggirl
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thesmellyone</i>

what's wrong with one of these?
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 909m005807

Looks a nice bike but I don't want to order one online, need to have a sit on it etc. see how it feels.

Might give m LBS a look sometime, am not going to rush into it, gonna take a look around I think.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I would avoid suspension due to the extra weight and ltd benefit, unless you can pay a lot more for a lighter bike overall

Apollos are shiite but the Carerra Subway is a superb all round bike. have had one 3 years and it is an excellent do anything workhorse, from modest off road to a 60 mile road ride

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Most bikes you can buy in Halfords are shiite actually.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • cyclinggirl
    I was looking at one with front suspension. Why are Halfords bikes so shiite though?
    What about the Raleigh I saw? Here it is http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId=82400#
  • Not ALL halfords bikes are rubbish. In fact, the Carreras (sp) are rated as excellent budget bike by a lot of people on the forum.

What is dire about Halfords is their customer care in most cases. I have popped in on occasion and have been quite tempted by their deals, but try and get any help from their usual spotty tennager employees is impossible. Not to mention after care and servicing ...

Nip to your LBS, and not only will they take into account your color prefences .. but also what you are actually going to use the bike for, fit etc.

Also worth noting is you don't have to buy a ladies specific bike. When pregnant I cycled hubbies front susp Saracen and it fitted a dream. My current bike is a spec Sirrus, which again is a unisex type frame so don't limit yourself.

Perhaps tell us what cycling you intend doing and watch for the suggestions! Road surface/tracks, distance, frequency, luggage, want to transport children etc?

Lou

Zummerzet Lou

Zummerzet Lou

• henderson_mk
    henderson_mk Posts: 637
    i'd avoid that raleigh one.... my gf was getting a bike last year and seen that.... so we went down to have a look at it and as much as it says 'lightweight' its not. at all. and it has a suspension seatpost and a fabric covered saddle... ick.

she ended up with a different apollo one from there which seems grand though...

+1 on the edinburgh cycles though... and they have branches all over now... could you even get a mate to drive you or something?

==========================
    cheese. to be eaten, not listened to.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • cyclinggirl
    Thanks for all your opinions. I only ride 15 miles max at the moment, hoping for 20-25 miles though at some point.

I use the roads, try and go out every day if possible. I don't need a high spec bike just something a bit more modern.

I am not bothered about the saddle that comes with the bike as I have a great saddle so will just swap it over.

Interesting points about the Raleigh though.
  • If you use the roads don't get a mtb (or suspension), get a hybrid. In Halfords, Carrera are good (Subway) but don't bother with apollo.
  • Me and my friend both had that Raleigh (the men's version). Everything that could possibly go wrong with both bikes went wrong and in the end both ended up going back to Halfrauds under warranty. One lasted about 3months, the other 6 (the latter turned out to have been manufactured with most bearings missing). The bike is being sold as an ATB, but totally useless for off-road use, also, they tell you it's got suspension forks at the front, in fact these are only made to look like suspension forks, they don't actually work.

I would avoid the Tundra like the plague (although admittedly we might have just been extremely unlucky)...

Why not have a look at the WSD by Trek or the new GT womens range about to come out, the new GTW avalanche is about as pink as it gets!!!!

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!
  • cyclinggirl
    OK, not going to bother with the Raleigh, you have put me off, lol.