What should PM Broon's top 5 priorities be?

Paul McG
Paul McG Posts: 118
edited August 2007 in Campaign
For me:
1. Leave Iraq within 2 years
2. New transport network for London
3. Overhaul Heathrow airport
4. get serious about anti-social behaviour
from pre-school onwards - bring in parent classes, anti litter campaigns, the lot
5. try and win something at football.

Comments

• Unkraut
    Unkraut Posts: 1,103
    Spelling.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    1) Call a general election
    2) Make sure that he does the above as soon as poss
    3) Restore some civil liberties
    4) Begin phased withdrawal from Iraq
    5) Shut his mouth when he's not speaking instead of leaving it hanging open

<font color="purple">******************************************************************************</font id="purple">
    <b><font color="green">See</font id="green"><font color="orange"> baby </font id="orange"><font color="blue">Elephants </font id="blue"><font color="red"> and more at</font id="red">:</b> http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • 1) Renationalise public transport.
    2) Raise the taxation of motor vehicles to the level where it actually covers the cost of the problems it causes.
    3) Get rid of the majority of targets (especially for health and education) and hence the management required to achieve said targets.
    4) More enforcement on the roads, both speed cameras, ANPR, traffic light cameras and Police themselves.
    5) Stop making it so easy for people to kill on the roads and get away with it (decent, justifiable sentencing).
  • Can I have an extra one too?

6) Turn the Labour Party back into the old Left wing one we knew and loved (kind of), thus allowing the Conservatives to return to their traditional Right wing home so we actually get a choice when it comes round to elections!
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    He should be honest with the electorate, starting with a statement that Labour is a capitalist workers party which exists to manage the collective interests of a tiny minority of rich people.

He should then recognise the moral and political bankruptcy of any involvement in Labour and immediately resign.

He should then urge working people to take control of their own workplaces, and tell them to elect recallable delegates to a national council, which can oversee all future economic and political developments.

He should nationalise all the major conurbations, financial and industrial, and agricultural, placing them under the control of the workforce via the above national council.

He should issue all cyclists with a rohloff equipped bicycle.

He should place Gaz, Nick, 'Monkey, and all the other rationalists in charge of transport and environment policy.

He should allow me to deal with the Cycling + counter revolutionary elements.. i will ensure they are handled gently and treated with all appropriate fairness on their way to the 'holiday camp'..

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Redecorate Number 10

I can't begin to imagine how Cherie has done it.

george

Europe
    http://europejibi.googlepages.com
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    1) Not smile - it makes him look he's dropped one
    2) Cycle (with armed coppers on bikes too) to show real commitment to global (un) warming.
    3) Stop trying to micromanage government agencies
    4) Drop the ID card
    5) Stop being the US poodle

I reckon those have the same chance of being done as Redcog's ideas
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

He should issue all cyclists with a rohloff equipped bicycle.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can those who have one already be allowed to have a second??

george

Europe
    http://europejibi.googlepages.com
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Jibi, you will need to raise the issue of dual rohloff ownership at the next bicycle planning plenary.

It should be ok though, ankev has established the precedent.

• Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Jibi, you will need to raise the issue of dual rohloff ownership at the next bicycle planning plenary.

It should be ok though, ankev has established the precedent.

Too late. The Phoenix group have mounted a heavily leveraged private equity buyout of Rohloff. They intend to sack all the workers, transfer production to China, slash production costs and market them in the UK as the Leyland Roll-off.

Uncle Mort. There is probably just enough time to encourage the Rohloff comrades to occupy their factory and place it under the workforce's control, thereby internationalising the equalitarian collectivist initiative.

Naturally, they will send an immediate delegation to discuss the matter with the Chinese comrades. They shouldn't be omitted from the thrust towards world democratic control of the means of production.

• grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    1. Get a decent haircut
    2. Lose some weight
    3. Paint the front door of No. 10 a nice shade of mauve
    4. Put chav's in a community service type bad lads army
    5. Open up a network of cycle-only paths and tunnels throughout the land

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    1. Education
    2. Crime
    3. Education
    4. Crime
    5. Health...emphasis on prevention rather than cures.

Get education right and reduce criminality and you solve a huge amount of the Nation's problems and costs.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

Can I have an extra one too?

6) Turn the Labour Party back into the old Left wing one we knew and loved (kind of), thus allowing the Conservatives to return to their traditional Right wing home so we actually get a choice when it comes round to elections!
    Do you mean like the much-loved version that proved to be so popular in the 1979, 1983, 1987 and 1992 general elections?
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

1. Education
    2. Crime
    3. Education
    4. Crime
    5. Health...<b>emphasis on prevention</b> rather than cures.

Get education right and reduce criminality and you solve a huge amount of the Nation's problems and costs.

Fab's TCR1

is that prevention of health, prevention of education and prevention of crime? they are 2/3rds of the way there already.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mjones</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

Can I have an extra one too?

Do you mean like the much-loved version that proved to be so popular in the 1979, 1983, 1987 and 1992 general elections?

Hence the "kind of"![:p]
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

1. Education
    2. Crime
    3. Education
    4. Crime
    5. Health...<b>emphasis on prevention</b> rather than cures.

Fab's TCR1

is that prevention of health, prevention of education and prevention of crime? they are 2/3rds of the way there already.

Fair point [:D][:D][:D]

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    If he really cares for the UK, he should resign immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    1. Disband the NHS and replace it with a system resembling some of the continental ones where the experience of patients is far better.

2. Have one national exam board putting out O and A levels at the old high standards and then leave the schools to sort out how they will teach to those levels.

3. Reintroduce student grants for the ablest, say 10% of university applicants and link them to subjects so that you could never get a grant to do time wasting stuff like sociology or meejah studies.

4. Put rail tracks on the slow lanes of motorways so that HGVs travel on flatbeds as in the channel tunnel thus reducing pollution, repair work etc.

5. 50% of all urban roads to be closed to motor vehicles except local residents. (Would probably cause chaos but it would at least concentrate a few minds.)
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    1. Re-nationalise the railways (we are paying MORE in subsidy now) and to commission studies on the viability and costs to re-instate all disused railway lines. The sale of all railway land is suspended. This will include a definite re-opening of the great central line from London to Manchester via the Woodhead route, allowing for freight transport thus allowing the other over-loaded routes to improve timings and/or relief from maintenance. The route from Okehampton through Tavistock to Plymouth should be re-instated making sure the SW stays on the rail network when weather and erosion closes the coastal route. The second route to Brighton via Lewes should be restored. Over the following 25 years, there should be a commitment to extend TGV services based on 200kph minimum to the Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol, Edinburgh and from then on, cities based on population from both London and the Channel tunnel. Centralised and logical ticketing should be in place. It should be mandatory to provide x places for cycles per passenger capacity. Stations will have secure cycle parking in "lockers type" storage. The long term aim of the railway should be to completely halt internal national flight and by 2050, the majority of European flights. It is preposterous that people fly from London to Manchester purely because it is more economical!

2. Re-assess training and education. This will re-establish the 'O' and 'A' level standards as they were established and abandon 50% university entrance targets if the economy and workplace simply doesn't support it.

3. Define our relationship with the EU and then call a vote or general election on the issue.

4. A commitment to move more state institutions out of London and the South East. The continuation of the BBC license should be conditional on the move of at least 80% of the organization from London.

5. Cycling (well, had to be). All new arterial roads i.e. those feeding cities from suburbs, should have 2.5m (min) wide cycle lanes seperated from the main road by at least a 1m verge and an armco barrier. where possible this should also be retro-fitted to existing arterial roads and trunk routes between population centres. In my opinion this is really what's holding cycle commuting back, suburbs and city centres are generally easy to get around, the bits between are not. The goal should be that cycling becomes a pratical and safe means to commute for everyone within 10km of city and town centres and larger schools. There should be no compulsion to cycle lanes and the right of the road should be explicitly re-affirmed in the highway code, the driving test and if necessary law. Existing cycle routes less than 1.5m or shared use less than 2.5m should be phased out altogether.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • 1) Leave the EU, or at least don't accept any laws made by meddling eurocrats
    2) Iraq: don't leave straight away, but if we stay, demand money from America for help with what is quite frankly <i>their</i> war, and <i>their</i> problem.
    3) Build more prisons to house errant chavs, preferably in the middle of the sea, make more chav-type offences imprisonable, and make sentences ALWAYS be served in full - none of this 'out early for good behaviour' nonsense
    4) Put more research into nuclear fusion
    5) Make moves towards abolishing the party whip system in order that policy votes are in the interests of the constituents rather than in the interests of making the party as a whole look good.
    <font size="1">6) Evaporators?</font id="size1">
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Say and do absolutely anything to:
    1) Get elected
    2) Distance himself from Blair & associated Spin (a Spin paradox?)
    3) Distance himself from Bush
    4) Distance himself from been Scottish (and therefore anti-English)
    5) Blame others (usually Blair) for anything messy eg Iraq or the tax burden - what was his last job again?

I will vote for anybody rather than Brown, except the BNP.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    I still think he should paint the front door of number ten mauve.
    1. Try and make peace with teh muslim world and do what little he can to get some sanity into US foreign policy

2 -4 Carry on screwing Cherie Blair

5. Try and screw Michael Howard's wife
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Is Mrs Howard a looker then? Pictures appreciated.

You missed two...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    yes ... it's one of the surreal aspects of british politics that michael howard's wife is a looker (for her age). they relax playing ping-pong at their pimlico home.