Slipping on corners

Portnoy
Portnoy Posts: 175
edited June 2007 in Road general
I don't know what's going on but when I'm turning round bends I'm feeling something shift beneath me on my back wheel. It feels like the wheel is moving but I've checked it and it seems to be really bolted on.

I'm paranoid that something bad is happening. It's a new bike so it shouldn't be.

Any ideas?

Comments

• hazeii
    hazeii Posts: 233
    Is it a sharp feeling, or more of a 'squidge'? If it's a sharp feeling, check the QR (if present) is done up nice and tight, and try grabbing the top of the wheel and pull it side to side (to check the wheel bearings/axle fixings). If it's more of a squirming sensation, check the tyre pressures.

Edit: and just in case - check the saddle's not loose!
  • could be the cones need tightning or the axle needs replacing.

tyre pressure?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I've had this with tyre pressure - conti gatorskins at 30psi (although you couldn't tell they were this low by looking!) had me bricking it on the one roundabout.
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    My mate had this problem.....when we looked we found the frame was broken[B)][:(!][;)]

Club rides are for sheep
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Portnoy
    Well i pumped up the tyres and it seems to have stopped. But I was slightly paranoid that it could have been something like the frame about to snap in two.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    could be a combination of the PSI and the newish experience of pedalling round the corners, changes the feel. i think i get is some times.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Portnoy
    yeah, well i don't remember experiencing the same thing on any of my other bikes...this is my first fixed.
  • hazeii
    hazeii Posts: 233
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Portnoy</i>

yeah, well i don't remember experiencing the same thing on any of my other bikes...this is my first fixed.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you are new to fixed, could it be simply the chain going in and out of tension? You will feel a slight 'thump' when you transition from powering the pedals to the pedals powering you, as the slack in the chain is taken up.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Portnoy</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i thought you had a langster?
  • Portnoy
    I think you must be confusing me with someone else. I've got a condor tempo...had it for about 4 weeks. I'm really enjoying using it.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    A Tempo you say, I've got a photo of mine somewhere...*cough*

Seriously though, I had exactly the same problems today (the wet roads didn't help). Not on the Tempo but on my Audax bike. Rear tyre was quite soft after the weekends 200 and I hadn't checked it before using it for the commute.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.