Slug Quentin defects to Labour

spire
spire Posts: 4,077
edited December 1969 in Campaign
Who has the least principles: slug Quentin for abandoning those who elected him, or hypocrit Brown for welcoming him to the fold?

Comments

• redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Spire, there is no reason for a Tory Party any longer, the rich are adequately serviced by Labour, so i would suggest dissolving yourselves (perhaps using a sulphuric solution) and following Quentin down the drain.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Every parliament seems to generate a small crop of MPs defecting from one party to another. While it is a fact that electors vote for the individual as their MP, they are also clearly casting a vote for his party. Should MPs who choose to change sides in the house be made to stand again in a by-election in their constituency? I incline to think that this should be the case but it should be a cast iron rule and there should be a mechanism for it happening very quickly, say within a month of the changing of sides.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

Who has the least principles: slug Quentin for abandoning those who elected him, or hypocrit Brown for welcoming him to the fold?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Quentin will feel at home in the Labour Party - he's pro foxhunting and anti gay adoptions.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    And surrounded by crawling middle class types who love an arrogant unprincipled egotistical upper class twit.

• spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Should MPs who choose to change sides in the house be made to stand again in a by-election in their constituency?

Definitely.
  • spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

the rich are adequately serviced by Labour

It is true that Brown has been a great friend to the super-rich money men. But, more importantly and painfully, he has been expert at picking the pockets of ordinary folk while the benefits bonanza continues.

As usual, those n the middle have suffered most.
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    Spire, you're presenting a false dichotomy - no party leader is going to pass up an opportunity to take on a defector, Cameron included. I saw Quentin on Newsnight last night - he's a complete nonentity but the idiot (Alan Duncan I think) who was debating with him was supercillious and conceited. Neither of them do politics any credit.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Who has the <i>fewest</i> principles: slug Quentin for abandoning those who elected him, or <i>hypocrite</i> Brown for welcoming him to the fold?

Really, spire - we expect better from a dyed-in-the-wool Tory.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Should MPs who choose to change sides in the house be made to stand again in a by-election in their constituency?

Definitely.

+1 Absolutely
    If they wish to change sides let the constituency vote as to whether they still want him representing them as their MP.

They should resign rather than defect

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Who has the <i>fewest</i> principles: slug Quentin for abandoning those who elected him, or <i>hypocrite</i> Brown for welcoming him to the fold?

Now this is an interesting point Nick. As you know I am a grammar fanatic and I did consider it. 'Principles' can be used in a general or specific sense (e.g. "He has principles," or a specific sense "There are four principles,") and I think in this context I was right, but I am happy to debate the point. (Could you count the number of principles Brown has?)

As for hypocrite: busy doing other things and not concentrating! [:I]
  • On Newsnight Quentin came across as a pompous old type Tory. So, it will be amusing to see if he's foisted on a traditional working class Labour constituency. Ebbw Vale would be a good one.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    I think it's "fewest principles" or "least number of principles".
  • spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

On Newsnight Quentin came across as a pompous old type Tory.

Indeed.

Short term it has been a PR problem, but long term he is exactly the sort of 'legacy' MP Cameron wants to be rid of.
  • As the entire Labour party defected to the Tories in '97 I hardly think it matters.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

I think it's "fewest principles" or "least number of principles".

How about "least principled?"
  • andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

As I understand it QD is standing down and not fighting the seat as for Labour. Which under the circumstances seems the 'right' thing to do..

I also saw Newsnight - and while I agree with some of the comments about QD, Duncan did not come across well; and it was a mistake to try and 'shoot' QD down - because it didn't work, backfired even.

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---
    --- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    I object to the association of innocent slugs with human political figures of contempt
    Slugs are cute and useful in comparison

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On Newsnight Quentin came across as a pompous old type Tory. So, it will be amusing to see if he's foisted on a traditional working class Labour constituency. Ebbw Vale would be a good one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Shaun Woodward and his butler seem to have survived in St Helens!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Max Weber</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On Newsnight Quentin came across as a pompous old type Tory. So, it will be amusing to see if he's foisted on a traditional working class Labour constituency. Ebbw Vale would be a good one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Shaun Woodward and his butler seem to have survived in St Helens!

Do you remember the excellent joke - the question is not whether Shaun Woodward has a butler, but how many footmen he has?
  • andyoxon
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

I object to the association of innocent slugs with human political figures of contempt
    <font color="red">Slugs are cute and useful in comparison</font id="red">

They still get thrown into the pond for the large frogs, in our garden.[:p]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Slugs are cute and useful in comparison<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">LOL [:D]

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

They still get thrown into the pond for the large frogs, in our garden.[:p]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If snails are all called Brian, what are slugs called?
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

<font color="red">Slugs are cute and useful in comparison</font id="red">

They still get thrown into the pond for the large frogs, in our garden.[:p]

The ones I find in my veg patch get fed to my hens.
  • andyoxon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

They still get thrown into the pond for the large frogs, in our garden.[:p]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If snails are all called Brian, what are slugs called?

Doug..? http://www.dougtheslug.com/

[:)][8)]

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Posts: 703
    Quentin Davies must be quite a bitter individual. If what really bothered him was Cameron's lack of substance (as he said it did), then why did he not resign the whip and become an independent Conservative (maybe because he would not be parachuted into a safe seat, a la Shaun Woodward, when his Constituency Party kicks his arse out).

No, he has chosen the route that will most embarrass the Tories (who seemed to have coped pretty well with this devastating loss!) I believe that he is a pompous old fart who got angry that Cameron had not been paying him enough attention. This could be good for Cameron, in a weird way, because he can use it as a 'you're with me or against me' tactic with the rest of his flakier MPs.

In the end though, none of this actually matters. What really is vital for Cameron is that he lays right into Broon from the off and doesn't let him build up any 'honeymoon' momentum. Blair built up this momentum, and it went on for 7 years!
    Dave
  • andyoxon
    While on the subject of pond life in general...[;)] we also have leeches (non-bloodsucking) in our pond - now there's a naming challenge... Suggestions?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

While on the subject of pond life in general...[;)] we also have leeches (non-bloodsucking) in our pond - now there's a naming challenge... Suggestions?

If they are non bloodsucking then they'll never make it as lawyers.[:(]

Doug..? http://www.dougtheslug.com/<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font color="blue">"Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

Reason:
    The Websense category "Games" is filtered.

URL:
    http://www.dougtheslug.com/"</font id="blue">

Arse! ("at this time", indeed... bloody <i>American</i> nannies now [V])
  • andyoxon
    oops - leading you astray there Nick [;)] By the way Doug likes to eat strawberries and crawl around on slime...

• Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124

oops - leading you astray there Nick [;)] <b>By the way Doug likes to eat strawberries and crawl around on slime...</b>

Don't we all? [:)]