What Bike Next?

Stuww
Stuww Posts: 203
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I've been commuting 22 miles a day on my Giant Escape M1 since last xmas. It's a great bike, basically a mountain bike with slicks!

Having competed in my first ever charity cycle event on Sunday, I managed 55 miles in 4 hours 7 minutes averaging just over 14mph.

I was quite chuffed with this but started to wonder how easyier life would have been if I'd been on something with skinny tires!

So my question!

What would you recommend for my next bike, it must meet the following criteria:

. œ400 - œ500
. Relaxed riding position.
. Able to handle my 18 stone frame!
. Fittings for mud guards and rack.
. The ability to handle pot holed country lanes for 110 miles per week.
. Reliable

Think that's it!

Ideas gratefully received.

Many thanks

Regards

Stu W
Giant M1 Escape

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    A lot of big guys go for the cross bikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Host And Design
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Might not be easy to find a cross bike for œ400-500, second-hand perhaps.
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    You could go for a hybrid. Plenty available in your price range. Ive got a Genesis Day 01 and cant fault it.

Managed to complete 50 miles in 3hrs 20mins on Sunday (Great Nottinghamshire Bike Ride). I weigh 16 stone ish as well so its tough enough.
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I would go for a Trek Pilot 1.0

http://www.devercycles.co.uk/dever-bike ... acing+Bike

I've seen one fitted with mudguards and a rack.

Or a Dawes Horizon tourer if you want something a bit more heavy duty.
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    How about a Kaffenback? That'll take 18st no probs. You can fit racks, guards and up to 32c.

I wouldn't recommend that skinny a tyre though 'cos they simply don't work above a certain weight as to inflate them correctly you'd have to go way over the recommended maximum.

I think there are a lot of larger people kidding themselves on this forum riding 23cs on the sidewalls where a 25 or 28 would actually roll much better. I'm 90kg and need to run my pro races at 140PSI - that's really pushing it.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I'm 130 kg and run 23c gatorskins at 100 psi. They roll great, don't know why you'd want them any harder.
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Well, gators aren't the best rolling tyres in the first place, even when correctly inflated.

The chart on the side of the pro-race packaging shows the recommended inflation for each weight. It tops-out around 85g and 115psi, typical for a 23c. There is no way at my weight and definitely not yours that tyre would work at that pressure. In fact, it's clearly visible at the rear that I'm riding on the sidewalls.

If I do use these 23cs (my everyday bikes have 25 and 28c), then it needs to be inflated every time to keep the pressure at such a high level. If it drops to around 120PSI, I really notice the extra effort.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Would a Giant SCR fit the bill??

Regards

Stu W
    Giant M1 Escape
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Would a Giant SCR fit the bill??
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yes.
  • Adam_57
    Adam_57 Posts: 85
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I'm 130 kg and run 23c gatorskins at 100 psi. They roll great, don't know why you'd want them any harder.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

See explanation at CTC site http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802

According to the chart there, load on the rear tyre for you would be 70% x (130kg + 10kg) = 98kg. Absolute minimum pressure on smooth roads would be around 140psi. For poor roads this would go up to 175psi.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Im riding a Giant SCR now has all the mounts for the commuting bits, far faster than my old hybrid, very nimble. You wont believe how much easier it is to cycle at speed [:D]

Theres some Absolute bargains on the internet at the moment might be worth seeing if your friendly LBS will internet price match? I didnt even consider that and just brought mine online, not a big hassle but would have liked to have given the business to a local shop instead at the same price.

I got mine from www.winstanleysbikes.com in their clearance bikes section, but there are other sites offering much the same prices. I was originally wanting the SCR2 at œ525 from a LBS, but I got my SCR 1 for œ600, normal price œ850. Well worth the extra money to get the 105 gears and brakes and the lighter weight wheels etc etc.
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Trek 1000 triple is 500 on the nose, though guards and rack would extra - plus I guess you may want sturdier tyres - though these could be added later.

Got a sturdy lock, or secure parking?

Dare to slack