help buying parts for rear wheel

bianco
bianco Posts: 78
edited June 2007 in Road general
Looking for a rear wheel, been quoted œ130+ from my LBS and tbh I think they're laughing.

Does anyone know anywhere cheap to build wheels as I don't have tools.

Would it be cheaper to convert an existing wheel?

I live in South Yorkshire

Thanks

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    œ90 hand built harry rowland brick lane bikes. bit far away though.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just respaced and redished my old 12 speed wheel which had a screw on cassette block. First wheel I built and well proud of it. Not difficult, if you have a mechanical aptitude and a couple of hours spare. I used Roger Mussons wheelbuilding pdf. Cost me the price of 1 spoke, as it was corroded to nipple and broke whilst re-dishing wheel.

Okay, if you just want to try out riding fixed. I'm hooked on my fixed, so next fixie bike I build will have goldtec hubs and the rest.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Cheapest fixed hub is the Formula/System EX/Planet-X - should be able to find them for about œ40/pr. Decent rim is about œ25-30 from Mavic, DRC or Ambrosio and then 32 spokes at 50p each works out at œ16 - so budget for about œ80 for the parts and build will be about œ10-20. Try someone like Oldham Cycles Centre - they often have good deals on wheels. You can convert an existing wheel, but likely that you'll need new spokes anyway as the old ones will be the wrong length - really depends on the condition of the rim. All you need is a spoke key to do it yourself as you can use your frame / brake blocks as a trueing guide plus an ample dose of patience.
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 254
    I asked in Condor for a single/fixed wheel some days ago and they quoted œ75 for a new wheel with Mavic rim and hub (not sure if hand-build).
  • bianco
    I've just phoned condor and they've quoted œ99 delivered, still think I can find cheaper anyone?

Please, I want to spend around œ60.

Thanks
  • For œ60 your gonna have to build it yourself i think.

System Ex rear hub ( eg from bonthrone) œ25
    Maxic rim (from chain reaction?) œ15
    Spokes œ15
    lock ring œ3

It's easier than you think - just make sure you have plenty of tension
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    SPA cycles will want about 80 quid. 60? You'll be lucky, try Ebay, though you may need 20 pounds to redish/respace/replace.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by belgiangoth</i>

SPA cycles will want about 80 quid. 60? You'll be lucky, try Ebay, though you may need 20 pounds to redish/respace/replace.

<font size="1">Birmingham Pushbikes;West Midlands yahooGroup;Birmingham CTC;Tuppin' fool rides a pushbike ; baby elephant
    Chris Juden or Sheldon Brown? - there's only one way to find out, FIGHT!
    </font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I got a wheel for œ47 from Deeside Cycles last year. Suzue flip flop (fixed & free) hub and Mavic open sport rim. Unfortunately the website seems to be down. [:(]
  • bianco
    anybody around the rotherham area fancy giving a wheel building tutorial/helping me build a wheel as I think I'm going to be strungling here.

I know I want a flip flop hub - would this do? -

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... tion=31:31

I know I'm going to need two sprockets, but what will I need to make one side a freehub and one side fixed?

Could somebody please post links for me(cheaper = better)

Sorry for sounding daft/stupid/ignorant but I'm an accountant(trainee), not a mechanic.

I really appreciate this, thanks
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bianco</i>

anybody around the rotherham area fancy giving a wheel building tutorial/helping me build a wheel as I think I'm going to be strungling here.

I know I want a flip flop hub - would this do? -

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... tion=31:31

I know I'm going to need two sprockets, but what will I need to make one side a freehub and one side fixed?

Could somebody please post links for me(cheaper = better)

Sorry for sounding daft/stupid/ignorant but I'm an accountant(trainee), not a mechanic.

I really appreciate this, thanks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you want to run a fixed/free flip flop then don't buy a double fixed hub. The alignment is different for a fixed sprocket and freewheel, so you would have to build the wheel slightly dished if you were to run a double fixed as fixed/free. Better to buy a proper fixed/free hub.

I've got a Suzue Eco SIL fixed/fixed free hub, these usually retail for about œ20. I used to have one of these http://tinyurl.com/3yqwtf in my old Carlton frame, that was spaced 110mm though.

As an aside the difference in alignment between a fixed sprocket and a freewheel would be about 4mm. So the alleged issue with the Genesis Flyer could be a dodgy batch of hubs that have been intented for double fixed, or even double freewheel and then machined for fixed/free.

Cheers,

Gareth J
  • bianco
    Thanks Gareth, I'm gonna get me one of those hubs, get a 42t chainring and a 14t sprocket and freewheel.

Any recommnedations to which will fit?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Suzue went bust - so you may have trouble tracking down one of their hubs unless you can find a shop that has them in stock. They use open cup/cone bearings too so aren't very durable. Needless to say Deeside went belly-up last year too - probably due to selling stuff to cheaply!
  • bianco
    Why can't I use the on-one hub as a flip flop?

It states on their site you can.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bianco, the on-one hub is a double fixed hub (fixed/fixed). As Gareth suggests, running a free/fixed combination on such a hub will require the wheel to be dished, as the freewheel is thicker, offsetting the chain line from when flipped to use with the thinner fixed gear sprocket.
  • marmitecp
    marmitecp Posts: 203
    I've just fitted a freewheel to an ambrosio fixed/fixed hub without thinking about potential chainline issues (not built the bike up yet). As its a geared conversion, using the 42T from a double chinring, I was expecting to have to mess around with spacers/washers etc to get the chainline correct.

How big a deal is 4mm out? It doesn't seem a lot relative to the length. In the unlikely event of the chain unshipping, its not fixed so its not too much of a problem?