SJSC Double Fixed

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited June 2007 in Road general
36 hole SJSC Double Fixed Large Flange Track Hubs with high quality sealed cartridge bearings - Polished Alloy finish - per pair

The above hubs are œ39.99 but does anyone have any experience of them?

Comments

• Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    a mate has some.

they are œ39.99 a pair..make of that what you will

to be honest, they don't look up to much..depends if you want every day, all weather dependabilty or just something cheap for occasional use

I am interested in all weather dependability.
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    you should drop a bit more on some Goldtecs then..

the SJS ones compare to all the Formula/IRO/Ambrosio cheapys

I've been using a pair of on-one hubs (probably the same as the SJS ones) everyday for the last 18 months rain or shine! and they're still rolling as smooth as new.
    Also got a pair of Goldtecs on me nice bike, whilst they are a very well made hub they're still just a round bit of ally running on the same Chinese bearings.
    I'd recommend the cheep ones can't go wrong for the price!
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    For œ6 you can change the bearings to higher quality , stainless steel bearings that are probably better quality than the Goldtec ones - it only takes a few minutes to swap them - see my other post. As said, it's only a lump of ally with a couple of bearings and an axle running through the middle!
  • I went through 3 sets of bearings for my on-one hubs between last Aug and March. IMO, the sealed bearings aren't protected from the elements.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... on=107:107

Not a problem if you don't mind a bit of play in the rear, and the bearings are easy enough to change. I went for a goldtech though.

<i>The number of guitars you need = the number you own plus one.
    The same goes for bikes - and bottles of single malt.</i>
  • GaryGkn
    I have an old Carlton which I am using as my main fixed commuter. It has Mallard hubs. The front runs smoothly. The back however needs a bit of attention. The spacers look like ordinary bolts and a thick washer. I think they may move as the wheel can become difficult to spin. I am not that experienced with hubs so I am going to get the LBS to service them. I was looking for a back up rear hub and found it easier to locate a set rather than just a rear. I thought the SJSC looked a good bet. I have a set of Ambrosio on another bike but as the frame is too short in the top tube I ordered a BJ Vigorelli which has just arrived. Looking at hubjub I may consider getting a set of Phils they look a little bling although I appreciate there functional strengths my other alternative would be Royce they are just œ20 more. I would have to buy each hub (funds allowing) seperately and eventually get them built up or learn how to build wheels. I read some good stuff about the Phils and Royce and just got drawn in by what people were saying about them. Totally different to SJSC but it is easy to get side tracked etc with components!
  • I've got an ON-One on my training bike/beercycle, and it's perfectly OK, but looks clunky and feels heavy. I'm tempted to rebuild the wheels with a pair of Miche track hubs which you can get for around 53 quid. They must be a whole lot better than SJSC hubs shurely? With a Miche carrier system, I guess it means you can carry another sprocket with you if the lockring isn't stupidly tight.
  • GaryGkn
    I think the Miche carrier system is different to a conventional lock ring system. Perhaps do some more research. Fixedgeargallery did a review I did hear that the Miche carrier system was not as stable as a conventional lockring . Only in the sense that it could develop some play. I personally have no experience of Miche and this only what I remember reading a while back when they came out.
  • The Miche system is fine IMHO. I already use it. But as the Miche track hubs are single sided, then you don't get the option of being able to change your gearing mid-ride unless you carry a spare sprocket, unlike a double fixed. THAT was what I meant. But the question is are the hubs themselves upto the job of general purpose fixie use, or should they just be used on a nice clean and dry track bike?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The Miche hubs used cartridge bearings like the SJSC/Formula ones mentioned - they are slightly better quality though as my pair have remained untouched for a few years. They use a 9mm axle though, so not quite as strong as the 10mm used on the SJSC/Formulas. The Miche sprocket carrier can be fitted to any fixed gear hub - if you are inclined to change sprockets you only need to carry a lockring tool to change your sprocket i.e. you don't need a chainwhip as well. As I've said, before you ditch the hub, swap to decent quality sealed bearings and they'll feel as good as new again.