Handle bar spacer question

Bigtallfatbloke
Bigtallfatbloke Posts: 232
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Sorry about the deluge of stoopid questions but...anyway here is another one[:D]

I have got 6 ring spacers on my Daws galaxy handlebar stem (64" frame)

I saw a picture the other day of the 'ideal' riding position and was trying to emulate it on todays jaunt, but I couldn't get low enough over the drops (yes the belly was in the way but that wasn't the main problem[:D])

I have just removed one of the spacer rings to lower the bars..so far so good, and it rides better I think. BUT, I cannot find out how to lower the actual stem which is now sticking out of the top of the frame tube[:I]

How do I lower the stem down into the frame tube so that it all looks flush and proper again?

Many thanks.

Gravity sucks
Gravity sucks

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    You don't, you wait until you have found your perfect position and then you cut it to length. Just remember it's a one way ride though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Weed
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as above - I'd leave it - put the spacer that you removed on top of the stem so that you can tighten the top cap again. A lot of bikes have a spacer abover the stem too and this isn't anything to worry about.

if you settle on a position then you need to mark the fork steerer tube carefully, remove the forks from the bike and cut very very carefully!
  • Guy Young
    Guy Young Posts: 120
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">gkerr4:

if you settle on a position then you need to mark the fork steerer tube carefully, remove the forks from the bike and cut <i>very very carefully</i>!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...indeed, I watched an expert in the LBS cut my forks and was very very pleased that I hadn't attempted to do it myself. Little margin for error and the cut has to be spot on!
  • ok Ta...I suppose it's all simple when you know how...and now I know how, thankyou[:)].

I put the top ring on top of the bar as suggested and put the chainsaw back in the garage...I'm not good at DIY, especially on an expensive new bike[:0][:D]

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought the same when I wanted to fit Pace forks to my MTB, took it to the LBS came home and found that it was not very tight, so took the stem off only to find that he had cut the tube at an angle by well over 4 mm I was well pleased[:(!] so I filed it till it was square never trust them again!!!

Non Omnis Moriar
  • I bought a steerer tube cutter (it's just like a plumber's pipe cutter) and it is virtually foolproof to get a straight cut with one of these.