skip Royal Enfield... treasure

mr_tricolore
mr_tricolore Posts: 255
edited June 2007 in Road general
I found this tonight: http://www.tincandesigns.com/royal_enfield/
Extracted from skip and dragged it home, only to be laughted at by wife and brother... please someone tell me that it is both rare and valuable!!!

You only need one!
FGG #2909
You only need one!
FGG #2909

Comments

• The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    Dunno about valuable, but it's probably quite rare by now. any ideas how old it might be? What are your plans for it?

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • mr_tricolore
    right now there is quite a lot going through my mind. First of all, I love the bars, and they will probably end up on my fixed Harry Quinn, but I'll also thinking about l'Eroica, and how my H.Q. may be a little too modern for it (especially with the brand new front caliper bought to keep me alive). Howqever, with a baby on the way an too little space for nother bike, it will probably end up on eBay after a quick clean up.

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i like the lugs, they're lovely.

it looks mightily battered though.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • mr_tricolore
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    it looks mightily battered though.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nah! WD40, a bit of paint restorer... will look like new!

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • "will look like new!"

And internally will probably still be knackered. Make sure of your disclaimers re safety etc if you flog it. Heavy liabilties for injuries caused by collapsing frame stays on first outing.

Skip best place for it IMHO. Shame, but everything passes its useful life stage at some point.

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • mr_tricolore
    it's not quite as rotten as it looks! I think I might sell it to some londoner!

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_tricolore</i>

it's not quite as rotten as it looks! I think I might sell it to some londoner!

You only need one!
    FGG #2909

You may well be right (but not me if the GF is reading!)

From the kit it looks like a 48 to 51 model - nice South of France handlebars[:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • mr_tricolore
    I love the bars, and the more I look at that thing, the more I love the idea of doing it up as a proper restoration project. The only problem will be the wheel. I have a set of Mavic GP4s in the attic, but if this frame is as old as you say Gavin, the rims will clash awfully.

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">nice South of France handlebars<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mmmm, they struck me, too. Why did they ever go out of vogue?
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    I'd ride it[:D]

Club rides are for sheep
    Club rides are for sheep
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    take it in, get the frame blasted and repainted, that's the best bet.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • frustruck
    frustruck Posts: 373
    It might be restorable if the seatpost and stem aren't corroded into the frame. Good luck with it!

"We had many great pilots. Some scored many victories; others, not at all" - Japanese Zero pilot
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    deleted - wrong marque!

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 469
    Get it bead blasted.

Then have a good, long, close look at it before deciding what to do next.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
  • Throw that bike away, it's more trouble than it's worth.
  • mr_tricolore
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Get it bead blasted.

Any idea what I would expect to pay for bead blasting frame?

You only need one!
    FGG #2909
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_tricolore</i>
    Any idea what I would expect to pay for bead blasting frame?

dave yates quotes œ20, and i think that that includes checking over for structural integrity.
    well worth it IMHO.
    here's his details if you wish, i've found him to be helpful and honest :)

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/
  • Leoncp
    Leoncp Posts: 345
    That frame looks no worse than my flying scot when I got it. Get it shot blasted and powder coat and spray the insides of the tubes with gt 85. Ditch those brake calipers as they look rotten. If the bars are alloy be careful bout using them again, inspect them for scratches and gouges particularly where the stem clamps to them. Have a look at the royal enfield owners club site. Royal enfield made motorcycles up to 1970 in the uk and up to the present day in India. They also made lawn mowers, guns and generators, all of which are catered for by the owners club. Its kind of nice to bring a dead bike that everybody says you should chuck away back to life just dont go down the original route as it could be a money pit. Good luck

Tref

500 miles so far on a Kawasaki Green Flying Scot