Infestation in "Campaign"

CometGirl
CometGirl Posts: 2,681
edited June 2007 in Campaign
This board used to be an interesting area. Dare I say it, a valuable resource for those interested in pro-cycle campaigning.

Recently it seems to have been taken over entirely by shouty weirdos from SS. I don't know if they're the same person, but whoever ey is / are, could we PLEASE make an effort to avoid em. It's very tedious wading through sixty pages of cretinous keyboard-vomit from pro-speeders just to get at information that could be useful to those of us who can actually ride a bike without stabilisers.

Am I the only person who'd quite like to see a board which isn't completely overrun with this drivel? If Admin isn't prepared to remove em, which would be preferable IMO, can we please just ignore any post from the entity(ies) posting as Bobby Lightcycles, S2softy, Bonj or The Boss. Or for that matter anybody else who is only here to cause trouble and endlessly spam us with eir tedious, anti-cycling, irrelevant and unchangeable POV.

I always like a genuine good debate but this is ridiculous.

Comments

• S2softy
    S2softy Posts: 194
    Point taken, I'll keep away, I'd just like to confirm that I often ride a bike without stabilisers, and I am only one person.

Have fun
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I've been trying the 'ridicule' approach... but you're right that it's probably best to ignore them. It's a lot of fun though... [;)]

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • Ravenbait
    Ravenbait Posts: 13,064
    CG: this was why we set up Soapbox in the first place, so we could hive off discussions like that away from the serious cycle campaigning posts. Unfortunately our own people as much of a problem as the infestation. All it would take is for our dear regulars to stop responding to the bait.

Sam

<font size="1"><font color="teal">The cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley:</font id="teal">

http://ravenfamily.org
    <font color="purple">"<u>You</u> might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"</font id="purple">

http://gentlemencyclists.org/clubhouse
    <font color="purple">"Ya'd think we could just attract ants, like normal people."</font id="purple"></font id="size1">

http://ravenfamily.org
    "You might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"
    http://gentlemencyclists.org
    "Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    wot...like as in the ravenbait???

[:)][:)]

www.squadraporcini.com
  • Flying_Monkey
    Well, yes and no. Soapbox was specifically set up to get politics out of Cake Stop, if I remember correctly, and Campaign is precisely the place for road-safety stuff. However, it really needs to be cyclist-centric. That's the point. If admin had enough time, they'd just remove the trolls who come simply to promote safespeed etc. without havving to be asked...

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Fair enough, pledge taken.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I think Comet has a fair point here. There does seem to be a lot of trolling by people who seem to enjoy putting forward their anti-cycle / pro fast cars agenda. Sadly, the trolls are succeeding and too many of us (I am to blame as well) are rising to the bait. We need more self control to ignore the worst excesses. I rather think that the trolls will prove too much of a temptation for some.
  • There may be a lot of pro-car, but I don't see much anti-bike.[?]

I like both, but at a push I could go anti-caravan: a tent will fit on your bike, but you can't cycle with a caravan.[:D]

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    I could go anti roadie, but since some lycra clad speed chimp stopped to help me with my puncture the other day, i've been a bit more generous in my views.

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>

I could go anti roadie, but since some lycra clad speed chimp stopped to help me with my puncture the other day, i've been a bit more generous in my views.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Off topic, but true story: I had a puncture once, and a fellow cyclist stopped to offer assistance but unfortunately his "puncture repair kit" consisted of a tube of super-glue and nothing else; he rode a solid tyred penny farthing![8D]

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • PRD
    PRD Posts: 18
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Fair enough, pledge taken.

Will that pledge include not stirring up trouble on Pistonheads as "slowcoach39"?
  • Comet, sorry. I should know better.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

can we please just ignore any post from the entity(ies) posting as Bobby Lightcycles, S2softy, Bonj or The Boss.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Some people are still at the ignoring stage, some at the laughing stage, and many more are now at the fighting stage. The battle against cameras will soon by won one way or another. They're on incredibly dodgy ground as far as road deaths, legality and popularity are concerned. Why else have the DfT offloaded them onto local authorities, and not even ringfenced the grants associated with them?
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>
    I always like a genuine good debate but this is ridiculous.
    You don't like a "genuine good debate" from what I've seen. You haven't even gone through the motions. Some people genuinely debate, some people pretend to, some throw juvenile insults, but you haven't bothered saying anything. You don't like anyone who doesn't like cameras, and you've never so much as attempted to engage in "genuine good debate" with any of them. As far as you're concerned, it's bad enough that they hold the opinion in the first place (and they shouldn't be allowed to), but to come on "your" forum and expose the shallowness of your arguments is beyond the pale. You're not going to play, and those toys ain't stayin' in dat dere pram.

You could at least have said "I'm going to ignore them because I'm blinkered, and even if I'm wrong I prefer to remain that way instead of being educated, because cameras and decriminalised parking and traffic calming all persecute the motorist, and that's what they deserve." But like others of your ilk, you just can't be honest, and you project your own inadequacies onto others. It's very sad, because if you all cared about road safety as much as you claimed and lobbied accordingly, many lives would have been saved by now, including cyclists'.

Silly, silly CometGirl. It's people like you that maintain the "us and them" business between C+ and SS/PH etc. It would be much better if there were more people here from SS/PH (and vice versa) to share ideas, but you simply won't have it from the outset, because you'd rather have hostility. If you want everyone to agree with you all the time, it's best just to talk to yourself rather than going on a public forum; no two people ever agree about everything.
  • Flying_Monkey
    It won't be around much longer... don't worry.

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

It won't be around much longer... don't worry.
    Flying_Monkey is a troll.
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    Surely poppladopple, Cometgirl isn't saying that these debates aren't welcome, but should be in Soapbox, as they are not cyclist-centric. I'd have thought that was fairly clear....

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Flying_Monkey
    Mosschops - the troll has been barred now, please don't respond to it further. If it returns please just flag to admin immediately.

And no, anything to do with road safety should be in Campaign. That's what it's for, but this is a Cycling forum and the safety of cyclists is what should be the focus.

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • Mosschops2
    No worries FM [;)]

- All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
  • rothbook
    Can we bin Mystery Shopper and any of the other "road safety campaigners" who think their cause is furthered by spoiling the forum?
  • Mosschops2
    Personally I'd prefer a softly-softly approach to banning people.

Like on the SS site - it's sickening to see Admin jumping in every third post to vilify one side of the argument, and effectively ban people who don't agree with the Forum's position. While I do see a need to get rid of trolls, I think we should take care not to ban people just because they don't agree. I think some Bonj-esque debate is fine... (although rarely partake!!)

I know I'm stating the obvious, sorry!!!

</font id="size1">
  • The Endorser
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Mosschops - the troll has been barred now, please don't respond to it further. If it returns please just flag to admin immediately<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">He's already back and posting mate...

• I don't know why you're singling me out as the culprit, i only ever post about such subjects in threads which are already far, far bogged down in such matters to start with, and even then usually only in threads which have been started as a wind-up - e.g. "Scrap speed cameras now - PS in the telegraph" (mjones), "Killer driver accepts he was driving too fast" (rothbook), "4m british drivers admit they'd pervert justice" (rothbook again), "New petition - ban speedophiles" (guess who), "Three more who liSStened" (Tourist Tony), etc.... I could go on...?
    This does seem to be a fairly incoherent forum - all admin need to do is place a sticky saying 'Please do not discuss s<i></i>afespeed on this forum', and talk of it would probably die out - I myself am quite bored of it and would welcome other debates to get drawn into instead.
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> "Killer driver accepts he was driving too fast" (rothbook), <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You are a troll who is ruining this forums because you come out with crap like the above.

Harris accepts he was driving too fast, as the link showed.

Stop being a prick banjo.
  • Flying_Monkey
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Mosschops - the troll has been barred now, please don't respond to it further. If it returns please just flag to admin immediately<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">He's already back and posting mate...

Where?

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosschops2</i>

Personally I'd prefer a softly-softly approach to banning people.

Like on the SS site - it's sickening to see Admin jumping in every third post to vilify one side of the argument, and effectively ban people who don't agree with the Forum's position. While I do see a need to get rid of trolls, I think we should take care not to ban people just because they don't agree. I think some Bonj-esque debate is fine... (although rarely partake!!)

I know I'm stating the obvious, sorry!!!

</font id="size1">

The obvious is that a troll can easily be ignored.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>

I will remember that next time i'm back o Skiddaw in another incarnation and i come across a group of mountain bikers with a broken chain and no link extractor.
  • The Endorser
    Touche! Still and all, i've even stopped my 10 year oild stepdaughter from using 'Roadies' as aswear word in view of my enlightenment!

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by llanberispass</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I will remember that next time i'm back o Skiddaw in another incarnation and i come across a group of mountain bikers with a broken chain and no link extractor.

Well, it won't be difficult to find the missing link then. [:)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> "Killer driver accepts he was driving too fast" (rothbook), <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You are a troll who is ruining this forums because you come out with crap like the above.

Harris accepts he was driving too fast, as the link showed.

Stop being a prick banjo.
    I'm sorry. There I go again. I can't help it.

I'll be printing out posts like these and showing them to my therapist. I really want to manage my anger and I'll stop at nothing to do it, but it's SO HARD. *crying*

--
    Spindrift the Reformed
    Scrap Speed Cameras Now!
    Help Support Safe Speed! Help Save Lives!
    http://www.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Please tell me you aren't too big.I do have some lube, but....

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K