bannings?

formerlyknownasbonj
formerlyknownasbonj Posts: 483
edited July 2007 in Campaign
I'm guessing that judging by my recent inability to log in, I've been banned, <i>again</i>. If the intention is that i'll take a hint, then it's not happening because no hint is ever given. In fact there is no notification at all - just seemingly a rude revokation of logging-in ability. For all i know it could be a software bug, so as far as I see it i'm perfectly at liberty to re-register under a different username and continue posting. If there was a message saying 'you have been banned because we don't like your swearing e.g. as in such-and-such thread', or 'you have been banned because you posted this in the wrong forum', or something then I could slightly understand it, but there never is. (Even though it would be undoubtedly better to sort any problems with me out amicably first?)

In short, if you don't want certain words used on the forum, certain topics discussed, or even certain views expressed - then SAY SO please, as in my case certainly i'm willing to take any remedial action required, but if I don't know what that is, how am I supposed to do so?
Turning off an account i created is pointless as all it does is mean if I want to post again i just have to create another one.

Comments

• Maybe you're unable to take remedial action (despite best intentions) and the only option is therefore to get rid of you?

Some people can't change no matter how hard they try, and each reincarnation of you does exhibit the same traits...
  • I gave you an earful once because you were rude to Arch, but what you've said/done is trivial compared to some of what I've seen here. FWIW I certainly don't think you should be banned.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I think the mods have decided to take a zero tolerance attitude to those they see as associated with 'the safespeed position', and since you've tended to support these trolls when they're here you've fallen into the net. Personally, I don't think being a bit of a prat is a goog reason for being banned, and I don't think you're malicious at all.

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

Maybe you're unable to take remedial action (despite best intentions) and the only option is therefore to get rid of you?

Some people can't change no matter how hard they try, and each reincarnation of you does exhibit the same traits...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Do you now see how the only reason I'm 'unable' to take remedial action is because I don't know what remedial action is required? If I was <i>told</i> what remedial action was required, I'd take it. I don't mean to be facetious, but how IS 'getting rid of me' an option? Like I say if I can't log in and there's no other indication as to why then I would naturally assume a database record has become corrupted.
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    You and bimblyyusafdougietoshetc are soulmates (in a Yin and Yang sense)![:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by formerlyknownasbonj</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

Maybe you're unable to take remedial action (despite best intentions) and the only option is therefore to get rid of you?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Do you now see how the only reason I'm 'unable' to take remedial action is because I don't know what remedial action is required? If I was <i>told</i> what remedial action was required, I'd take it. I don't mean to be facetious, but how IS 'getting rid of me' an option? Like I say if I can't log in and there's no other indication as to why then I would naturally assume a database record has become corrupted.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Aye, I see were you're coming from, sorry if my previous post sounded a bit harsh! It was more a 'think while typing' post rather than anything well thought out.

I can't really see that banning a particular log-in does much good if the user just ends up re-registering as someone else, and if they aren't given a reason for the ban that must create a lot of confusion. You've got me there Bonj, hopefully someone will come along and explain it (Admin?).
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    I'm very surprised that a banning isn't accompanied by an explanatory email and in this case I don't see how the inability to grasp or construct sensible arguments could be grounds for banning.
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I agree with FM. As I've already said elsewhere, I don't agree with banning on the basis that you might be in a minority of posters who have a particular opinion. Being offensive / swearing / inappropriate / etc fine. Believing that speed doesn't kill, or that RLJing is a good thing, fine. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion - I have no probs with that at all......

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by formerlyknownasbonj</i>
    Do you now see how the only reason I'm 'unable' to take remedial action is because I don't know what remedial action is required?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    As most women would say: "If you can't see what the problem is...." [:D]

shouldn't you have gien yourself a new login name of <b>&</b> or similar, as in 'the poster formerly known as bonj'?

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Hmmm, seems a bit heavy considering what has been posted in the past. Certainly being daft, occasionally irritating but; on the whole; harmless is no grounds (IMO) for banning.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I don't quite understand this banning. The weekend's troll invasion from the playpen has been cleared up, but more will come next weekend.
    Bonj is a simple soul, unable to understand what constitutes evidence and convinced that evidence can be overridden by his opinion.
    He tries to be offensive, bur as he is so very young he hasn't quite got the rick of it.
    But banning? No, not in my opinion.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosschops2</i>

I agree with FM. As I've already said elsewhere, I don't agree with banning on the basis that you might be in a minority of posters who have a particular opinion. Being offensive / swearing / inappropriate / etc fine. Believing that speed doesn't kill, or that RLJing is a good thing, fine. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion - I have no probs with that at all......

I agree. Too many internet forums are very closed little worlds where no dissent is allowed.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trustysteed</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by formerlyknownasbonj</i>
    Do you now see how the only reason I'm 'unable' to take remedial action is because I don't know what remedial action is required?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    As most women would say: "If you can't see what the problem is...." [:D]

shouldn't you have gien yourself a new login name of <b>&</b> or similar, as in 'the poster formerly known as bonj'?
    [:D] I tried having 'theposterformerlyknownasbonj' but usernames can only be so long, so 'formerlyknownasbonj' will have to do...
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    There you go Bonj, we are all actually quite fond of you!

Even if its only in the way that pretty girls hang out with ugly ones in order that they look even better.

In your case, it's the exact same, just with intelligence![:D]

• whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    I think everybody who disagrees with me should be banned.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think everybody who disagrees with me should be banned.

Sorry.
    I don't agree.
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Whats the "safespeed position"?
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    When I got banned there was a 200 odd strong petition in favour of my reinstatement. Somebody even sent me the full name, home address and phone number of the then Future Banperson. I called him up and got the kind of 'legal reasons' stuff that comes out of local government officials when they know they're on to a loser.

Bonj - why don't you ring up Future and ask them?
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    Never mind the bannings, its about time they sorted out this woeful software, It make the old C+ software look well developed by comparison :lol: :roll:

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Simon L2 wrote:
    When I got banned there was a 200 odd strong petition in favour of my reinstatement. Somebody even sent me the full name, home address and phone number of the then Future Banperson. I called him up and got the kind of 'legal reasons' stuff that comes out of local government officials when they know they're on to a loser.

Bonj - why don't you ring up Future and ask them?

Partly because I know I'd just get the sort of legal reasons stuff that comes out of local government officials when they know they're on to a loser, partly because I've got better things to do, partly because it doesn't actually bother me - I don't even know I've been banned, let alone why. All I know is that sometimes, my username doesn't work anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's a software glitch which can be overcome fairly easily.