All Drivers Speed

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

That's it Ivancarlos, You may be in Camberwick Green, but I know just the person to sort you out..

PC McGarry

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh sh~t i'm on for a real kicking

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">Stay out of Camberwick Green</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">
  • So, in conclusion, there we have it. Not one driver has come onto this thread and claimed, regardless of intention, never to speed. Therefore the current automated enforcement of speed achieves nothing except randomly fining and adding points to the licences of <b>every single motorist</b>.

Speed cameras are criminalising all motorists and killing people, and their supporters have blood on their hands, as well as being responsible for hundreds of thousands of careers and lives having been needlessly ruined.

It's a bloody outrage.
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    it's a tax on stupidity
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Poppadoppaloppa Copper</i>

Therefore the current automated enforcement of speed achieves nothing except randomly fining and adding points to the licences of <b>every single motorist</b>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This kind of stupidity. Hopefully you'll have gone when Admin gets in this morning. Do you get excited by this, well, well, do you, just a little bit?

Hmmmmmmmm

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    I hope it stays - it's a collectors item!
  • drossall
    drossall Posts: 21
    It's unlikely that anyone on this forum can claim, regardless of intention, never to have driven at night without turning on their lights. Therefore all lighting laws should be abandoned.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drossall</i>

It's unlikely that anyone on this forum can claim, regardless of intention, never to have driven at night without turning on their lights. Therefore all lighting laws should be abandoned.
    Which "offence" takes place more often, would you say? Which one can be done perfectly safely without putting anyone at risk? Which one is done intentionally, and which is a mistake?

Nice try, but ultimately well wide of the mark.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

Hopefully you'll have gone when Admin gets in this morning.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Can't have people slagging off your "Allah" (the God of persecuting motorists). They must be gagged, a fatwa must be issued, and if necessary, things must be blown up.
  • drossall
    drossall Posts: 21
    Well, my reply admitted to mistakes. Some of them, I think a court would argue, were due to insufficient care and attention. That's the way I would see them too. I don't really need speed cameras to keep me to the limits, but the knowledge that they may be there certainly doesn't do any harm. I don't really need a passing policeman checking on my lights, but the knowledge of that possibility helps to focus my attention too.

If there were no enforcement, my own self-discipline might get more slack.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I could never differentiate between Chigley, Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Were the characters interchangeable? Were they supposed to be adjacent to each other? How did the characters communicate without any apparent mouths?

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

How did the characters communicate without any apparent mouths?
    Presumably, like the core Cycling Plus trolls, by employing their behinds.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    bye bye

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bobby Lightcycles</i>

If you drive regularly, and you could swear on oath that you never, ever speed, please say so in this thread.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes.

I'm a plod advanced, TPAC and pursuit trained driver, and a lapsed RoSPA instructor. The reasons for going to gret pains to behave on the road are thus...

a) If I get caught, I not only face the penalty or fine from the justice system, I also face the double whammy of disciplinary action or a fine from my wages by my employer.

b) I need my licence for my job - no job = no money, mortgage no get paid, deep doo dah.

c) I used to spend my working day scraping idiots that misbehave off the tarmac, and i'm keen not to become one of them.

Before I joined the dibble I was as bad as anyone else. After 10 years of ingrained bad habits it took a lot of initial effort to get the self discipline o do this - now it's second nature. If the sign says '30', then the fastest I go in good daylight conditions is a needles width under 30. If impatient tw4ts want to overtake, they can get on with it. I had a laddo in a Clio do this just the other week in the rain and he went sailing off into the distance, revving his engine in annoyance - next roundabout I found him up the verge with both NS wheels folded under the car - ooops!

There aren't many of us, bu thr are a few. It's less strassful, safer, and cheaper in various ways - if you don't believe me then you're making the mistake of judging me by your own standards.

Oh, BTW - if I stop someone or speeding with the intention of ticketing them and they trot out the "oh, i didn't realise it was an XXty limit here" I also report them for careless driving - more often than not the additional charge sticks.

I also could not tell the difference twixt trumpton, Camberwick Green etc - weren't they th same programme recycled on the cheap with different titles?

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • Endorser - a great post.

BTW They are all in Trumptonshire. Chigley is a little hamlet quite near Camberwick Green, where everything happens around Winkstead Hall, home of Lord Belborough. Not far from Camberwick Green is Trumpton, a bustling town deep in the county of Trumptonshire.

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">Stay out of Camberwick Green</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">
  • Razcp
    Razcp Posts: 526
    I don't drive very often, so I suppose I don't meet the criteria of the OP, but I never speed when I do drive. Sure, I used to when I was younger, but I soon grew out of that and that doesn't make it ok anyway.

A friend of mine in France was telling me about the tradition of pardoning "minor offences" when a new president takes office. I didn't know about this but I'm sure plenty of people here do - and for those who don't, this is what happens:

The 3 months leading up to a president taking office get wiped clean - driving offences, petty crime etc...

Everybody knows this so people tend to drive like twunts. The end result ? Road deaths go up by more than 20% in the lead up to an election.

It's pretty sad that so many people think that they can make their own decisions about what speed they can drive at safely, when there is such overwhelming evidence to suggest that when they do, they start dying.....
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>
    I had a laddo in a Clio do this just the other week in the rain and he went sailing off into the distance, revving his engine in annoyance - next roundabout I found him up the verge with both NS wheels folded under the car - ooops!

Hee hee! Bet you sort of enjoyed that one?[;)]

For the record, I'm not a regular driver at the moment, not having a car, but I've driven a lot in the past - including up to 7.5 tonne vans. There was a time I probably wasn't so careful with my speed in a car (the vans weren't all that nippy, so were pretty self regulating). But I'm much more careful now and make a great effort to stay within limits.

BTW, on Trumptonshire, I seem to remember that some characters appeared in all three series - the fire brigade for example - their band played for the 6 o'clock dances at the Chigley biscuit factory. And the Army lads, I think, and Chippy Minton - and probably more.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • jamesAC
    jamesAC Posts: 117
    What really p*ss*s me off is when there is a 50 MPH limit on a motorway (perhaps because of road works) and there is a sign saying that speed restrictions are in place to protect the workforce, and I slow down to < 50 MPH, and a) some tw*t will close right up behind me, and b) if there is a second lane still open other tw*ts will roar along at lots > 50 MPH.

On one occasion, some years ago, I slowed to 50 in such circumstances. A large truck closed to within a few feet of my car. Given that my wife and baby were in the back, I didn't think this safe. So I slowed down even more. The truck got closer. All I could see in the rear-view mirror was a radiator cap!. So I stopped. The guy in the truck went berserk. He eventually had to back up, then overtake me by mowing down a line of bollards.

A few minutes later, clear of the road works, I overtook him again. [:)]

I also find it really scary when I'm travelling on a motorway at (say) 65 MPH, catching up with someone in the middle lane who is travelling at a lower speed (for what ever reason -- they need not necessarily be a numpty) I glance in my wing mirror, see the outside lane is clear for 100's mteres, indicate, pull out, start to overtake, then next thing there's a bmw with headlights glaring right behind me. He's been doing a ton (or possibly a tonne) or more, making what would have been a prefectly safe overtaking manouver if he'd been doing about 70 into a very hazardous exercise. [:(]

You see, just because the lane in front of you is <b>currently</b> empty, it doesn't mean that it's safe to floor the pedal - a point that seems to escape the understanding of many drivers who drive permanantly at high speed in the overtaking lane!

Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
    Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
  • The Endorser
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>Hee hee! Bet you sort of enjoyed that one?[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Once i'd established that he was ok I must've lapped the roundbout 3 or 4 times looking and laughing. His efforts to save a few seconds and show off cost him hours and made him look like a numbty.

• Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

I could never differentiate between Chigley, Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Were the characters interchangeable? Were they supposed to be adjacent to each other? How did the characters communicate without any apparent mouths?
    |Chigley had some characters from the others...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chigley

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">No, Dougal, that baby elephant is far away!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Thanks for clearing up the whole Trumpton thing folks.

BTW, I'm with Th Endorser, in my previous life, I saw too many dead people who had been in a hurry, a few who thought that they had "skillz" and a good few who were their innocent victims.

There's one or two I still get occasional nightmares about.[xx(][:(!]

• Further to the Endorser's post. Wouldn't the world be a better, less stressed place if everyone drove like that? Not just for cyclists. I wish everyone could just chill out a bit when they get behind the wheel. I include myself in that!

• The Endorser
    Too right mate - I just chill on the road and enjoy the ride. I save my nuttyness or the track - i'm at Pugfest on Sunday, taking my car up the famous Prescott hill climb. Huzzah.

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamesAC</i>
    On one occasion, some years ago, I slowed to 50 in such circumstances. A large truck closed to within a few feet of my car. Given that my wife and baby were in the back, I didn't think this safe. So I slowed down even more. The truck got closer. All I could see in the rear-view mirror was a radiator cap!. So I stopped. The guy in the truck went berserk. He eventually had to back up, then overtake me by mowing down a line of bollards.

A few minutes later, clear of the road works, I overtook him again. [:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Driving like that you won't last long. The correct procedure would have been to leave enough space ahead for both of you to safely brake to a halt. Stopping in the carriageway is inviting a serious accident.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamesAC</i>
    I also find it really scary when I'm travelling on a motorway at (say) 65 MPH, catching up with someone in the middle lane who is travelling at a lower speed (for what ever reason -- they need not necessarily be a numpty) I glance in my wing mirror, see the outside lane is clear for 100's mteres, indicate, pull out, start to overtake, then next thing there's a bmw with headlights glaring right behind me. He's been doing a ton (or possibly a tonne) or more, making what would have been a prefectly safe overtaking manouver if he'd been doing about 70 into a very hazardous exercise. [:(]

You see, just because the lane in front of you is <b>currently</b> empty, it doesn't mean that it's safe to floor the pedal - a point that seems to escape the understanding of many drivers who drive permanantly at high speed in the overtaking lane!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Then learn to correctly guage the speed of other traffic, and don't pull out in front of drivers forcing them to slow down so you can complete your maneuvere.

Oh, and both lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking. Perhaps you should heed your own advice and not drive permanently in one of the overtaking lanes.
  • ACcp
    ACcp Posts: 655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cretin</i>

A few minutes later, clear of the road works, I overtook him again. [:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Driving like that you won't last long. The correct procedure would have been to leave enough space ahead for both of you to safely brake to a halt. Stopping in the carriageway is inviting a serious accident.

You see, just because the lane in front of you is <b>currently</b> empty, it doesn't mean that it's safe to floor the pedal - a point that seems to escape the understanding of many drivers who drive permanantly at high speed in the overtaking lane!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Then learn to correctly guage the speed of other traffic, and don't pull out in front of drivers forcing them to slow down so you can complete your maneuvere.

Oh, and both lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking. <b>Perhaps you should heed your own advice and not drive permanently in one of the overtaking lanes.</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where did JamesAC say that he was driving permanently in one of the overtaking lanes, cretin?

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
    I don\'t eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
  • ACcp
    ACcp Posts: 655
    Based on your reaction time and observation skills cretin, I don't think you should be allowed to drive a car.

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
    I don\'t eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Therefore the current automated enforcement of speed achieves nothing except randomly fining and adding points to the licences of every single motorist.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is the following also true?

CCTV cameras are criminalising all muggers, rapists, immigrants and killing people, and their supporters have blood on their hands, as well as being responsible for hundreds of thousands of careers and lives having been needlessly ruined.

It's a bloody outrage.

It's a bloody outrage.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bobby Lightcycles</i>

FLYING MONKEY IS A TROLL AND I WILL IGNORE HIS POSTS

He's been around here a bloody sight longer than you have, mate.

<font size="1">*** Have you got rock salmon?
    No, but we've got soul ***</font id="size1">
    Oh, don't worry about it. They all say that: "I will ignore anyone who shows I am posting drivel"
    That's Cretin's technique. He even gives lists of those he will ignore.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Oh, don't worry about it. They all say that: "I will ignore anyone who shows I am posting drivel"
    That's Cretin's technique. He even gives lists of those he will ignore.
    Now come on Tone, you know that we've been the trolls all along, and it's a miracle that everyone doesn't ignore us.

I've got my Safe Speed membership: have you yet?

--
    Spindrift the Reformed
    Scrap Speed Cameras Now!
    Help Support Safe Speed! Help Save Lives!
    http://www.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Will our children have hairy backs like you, Mongo?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K