Campaign to curb bike theft.

rothbook
rothbook Posts: 943
edited June 2007 in Campaign
http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/ ... &edition=d

You have to click on the video on the right hand side.

To mark National Bike Week, Metropolitan police are working with Hackney to get cyclists to register their bikes in an attempt to reduce thefts.
London Fields innit?
Where the free breakfast was.
The cops say if the bike is registered then the cops won't have to auction off untraceable bikes. I went with a friend to the police station and there was a basement packed to the rafters with untraceable bikes, I mean hundreds of them.

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

You have to click on the video on the right hand side.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I don't have to do anything. You can't make me.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    Same at our nick - hundreds of the bleeders. last lot went to auction sold at œ90 for a hundred bikes. Quality would've been vaiable, but I think the buyer probably got their moneys worth.

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • rothbook
    GE, the General Electric company, have humungous bolt croppers, I mean about five foot long. Leverage is incredible.

Transit pulls up at a bike rack, croppers come out, straight through the locks and the bikes get heaved in the back of the van, takes seconds.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

GE, the General Electric company, have humungous bolt croppers, I mean about five foot long. Leverage is incredible.

Transit pulls up at a bike rack, croppers come out, straight through the locks and the bikes get heaved in the back of the van, takes seconds.

Aha! So when you pop up in Classifieds offering a vanful of bikes for sale, would it be reasonable to become a bit suspicious?
  • rothbook
    My idea is a buttock recognition system on the saddle itself so if a rogue @rse sits on the saddle a retrorse spine shoots up and impales the thief, who will then be arrested by the cops who follow the noise of the wailing and sobbing.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Well in that case you're guaranteed one of those Doh! moments because the day will come when you are glued to the telly and somebody dear to you sticks their head around the door and asks to borrow your bike to nip down to the newsagent. You give a distracted wave of the hand and a nod only to be jerked back to reality 45 seconds later by "wailing and sobbing".
  • rothbook
    No tosser uses my bike, they can flipping well get their own.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

No tosser uses my bike
    Including you?
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

My idea is a buttock recognition system on the saddle itself so if a rogue @rse sits on the saddle a retrorse spine shoots up and impales the thief, who will then be arrested by the cops who follow the noise of the wailing and sobbing.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Nice idea, but what if you suddenly develop piles? Would the sudden change in your anal profile trigger the anti theft system and spear your farmer giles rather painfully?

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • rothbook
    Good point well made endorser, although possibly a radical non-surgical intervention in the case of Rockfords.
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197

The General Electric Company steal bikes?

Bloody corporate raiders.

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/kellys.html
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • rothbook
    Sorry, I mean these bolt croppers get onto the black market. I think they can get through 90% of standard locks.
  • You can also buy them in Buck & Ryans.

What's in my trolley?
    Bikes are traffic.

To mark National Bike Week, Metropolitan police are working with Hackney to get cyclists to register their bikes in an attempt to reduce thefts.

The cause of bike thefts is bike thieves. How about an attempt to catch bike thieves to reduce bike thefts? It might even reduce other kinds of crime as well, if there were prisons empty enough to keep the thieves there

A few years ago decoy radio beacon equipped bikes were used. Whatever happened to that idea?

Jeremy Parker