Brace yourselves ...

ankev1
ankev1 Posts: 3,686
edited June 2007 in Campaign
... because Paris Hilton gets out of the nick imminently (at least according to the telly last night) and I think CNN has booked an exclusive with her. So you can forget wars, famine, floods and the world economy for a few days as we will all have to share in the wisdom about life, the universe and everything which Ms H no doubt acquired while residing as a guest of his Dubyaness.

I think it will go without saying that she found God while inside (you'd think he/she/it would have better things to do than hanging around the nick waiting to meet "celebs"). But is she going to write her prison memoires? Will she have embraced lesbianity? Are we going to get her thoughts on shared loos? Perhaps she will develop a new line of toiletries for the delinquent where one application lasts 45 days?

Sadly, I have no doubt whatsoever that we will be told.

Comments

• Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    She's one who needs shooting into outer space, along with the appalling P Doherty and that Emin woman. I don't understand the purpose of these pieces of human detritus.

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Surely by posting this ankev you are- is a small way- ironically, legitimising and perpetuating the very thing I (assume) you despise...celebrity culture and the cult of non-entity useless parasites [?][:(!]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• ankev1
    Gary,

you might have a point. I hadn't really thought through my motives but now you mention it: celebs, of the vacuous PH type (as opposed to people whose achievements deserve to be celebrated) depend on a kind of suspension of reality which involves the idea that they actually mean something. The best cure is probably laughing at them and gentle mockery. If that became widespread just imagine how quickly their bubbles would burst.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Gary,

you might have a point. I hadn't really thought through my motives but now you mention it: celebs, of the vacuous PH type (as opposed to people whose achievements deserve to be celebrated) depend on a kind of suspension of reality which involves the idea that they actually mean something. The best cure is probably laughing at them and gentle mockery. If that became widespread just imagine how quickly their bubbles would burst.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surely ignoring them would be the best idea! I mean, can you tell me anything about Wayne, third to be voted out in Big Brother 3?

Either that or take a leaf from the Golgafrinchan's book.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/g ... cham.shtml

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • There is no such thing as bad publicity, except for an obituary.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • ankev1
    Never heard of him I'm afraid which perhaps does prove your point.

Incidentally, Gary, to describe celebs as useless parasites is a bit harsh. Presumably somebody is handing over dosh to them (sponsers/advertisers perhaps?) but it seems to me that this is only a case of fools and their money being easily parted. What I find genuinely baffling and highly amusing is that PH, for instance, actually has fans! On what grounds are they her fans? Absolutely amazing.
  • Saddle bum
    Saddle bum Posts: 2,044
    ER... I asked before, who the **** is this Paris Hilton?

Molon Labe.

Molon Labe.
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Gary,

I dunno...was that not the professed 'agenda' behind the whole big brother idea...to use psychologists to dissect their behaviour so 'we' can mock fine in theory but it was far too tame in practice and it whooly overestimated the intelligence level of joe public
    the whole idea backfired when it was seen that the majority who tune in actually ( albeit furtivly) actually <i>aspire</i> and <i>identify </i>with the pitiful slags and jerks and freaks on display [:0][:)]
    there is no shortage of S.J.F's wanting to apply.....derision from the silent majority matters not a jot when fame money and adulation/notierity by the pimp media
    The fu<font color="green">c</font id="green">king media are the real pestilential whores in this one though
    As you may guess i feel strongly about this one [:I][:(!]

• papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    And "Posh" Spice?
    A poor backing singer from a long-dead group who is poster girl for anorexia but made the goo d decision to wed a footballer.

What is there to aspire to?[:(!]

• You should have to have a license to have your picture printed in the paper or on the telly, where you're the 'main' focus of the shot and not an 'extra'. To get this license, you should have to prove at least some level of discernible talent or valid reason to deserve fame. Yes, the fame industry needs to be regulated. People now go on big brother not to take part in a reality TV contest, but to join the fast-track to 'become a celebrity'. Not that I watch it but heard it on the radio, any evidence you need that this is the case can be heard judging by the horror in the voice of that shabnab one who got evicted, when she said 'but I don't want to be booed! I'm <i>fun</i>!' You could pick up the sense of total despair in her voice from realising that she <i>wasn't</i> about to become a celebrity it's shocking.
  • Isn't there just a whiff of celebrity-seeking about those of us who regularly start topics on cycling forums? [}:)]
  • andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Surely by posting this ankev you are- is a small way- ironically, legitimising and perpetuating the very thing I (assume) you despise...celebrity culture and the cult of non-entity useless parasites [?][:(!]

Yes Ankev, I will hold you responsible for my future purchase of "Paris to Prison" the trilogy...[;)]

Andy

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---
    --- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

And "Posh" Spice?
    A poor backing singer from a long-dead group who is poster girl for anorexia but made the goo d decision to wed a footballer.

What is there to aspire to?[:(!]

I don't know, she made œ20MM while part of that long-dead group didn't she?
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    I heard socialite Paris Hilton described on the radio today as Parasite social Hilton.
    Well, I had a chuckle[:)]