Why rescue people?

Cunobelin
Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
edited December 1969 in Campaign
Not the callous attitude it seems, but more about priotities.

With the tragic loss of life and severe incidents, is the use of helicopters to rescue workers who are basically safe as opposed to more critical cases.

Surely it would be more efficient to drop supplies?

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
He that buys flesh buys many bones.
He that buys eggs buys many shells,
But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
(Unattributed Trad.)
<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
He that buys flesh buys many bones.
He that buys eggs buys many shells,
But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
(Unattributed Trad.)

Comments

• not quite sure what your're sugesting here...
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Is there an incident which you think should have been handled differently?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    The arguements have been well aired in both sailing and mountaineering circles. The RAF rescue civilians as 'practice' for their real job of saving aircrew.

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    I can see why the aircrew would want to practice as this would show up weaknesses, which could prove critical in a different situation. But I can't help thinking that many of the 100 stranded in Sheffield would have been happy if they'd dropped a case of beer and a few sandwiches and left them to party.

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    there's the additional concern that buildings in the UK simply aren' designed to withstand several feet of flood water rushing by and are in real danger of collapse. Wasn't there a close call in sheffield where some folks were trappedon a roof as the building began to disintigrate around them?

Hope no one on here got flooded out.

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    I did wonder about it. The news were talking to one guy trapped in a building, on the phone and he said, "well, the food's run out, so the situation is critical."

Hmm, I thought. Critical. Because you've run out of crisps. I wonder how many of you are carrying (like I am) at least a stone more fat than you need. I hardly think you're all going to starve. (With the exception of course of any diabetics etc - that could be critical). And I suppose most of them, if they drove in, wouldn't have a decent coat to keep them warm...

So I think the danger of building collapse is probably the more urgent - and something I hadn't thought of at the time. Remembering how fairly solid buildings in Boscastle were taken out by floating cars etc, I'm not sure how robust a light industrial unit would be...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Even worse, they may have been stranded all night and missed Big Brother!

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

I did wonder about it. The news were talking to one guy trapped in a building, on the phone and he said, "well, the food's run out, so the situation is critical."

Hmm, I thought. Critical. Because you've run out of crisps. <b>I wonder how many of you are carrying (like I am) at least a stone more fat than you need.</b> I hardly think you're all going to starve. (With the exception of course of any diabetics etc - that could be critical). And I suppose most of them, if they drove in, wouldn't have a decent coat to keep them warm...

So I think the danger of building collapse is probably the more urgent - and something I hadn't thought of at the time. Remembering how fairly solid buildings in Boscastle were taken out by floating cars etc, I'm not sure how robust a light industrial unit would be...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Shall I get off you, then?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Hmm, I thought. Critical. Because you've run out of crisps. <b>I wonder how many of you are carrying (like I am) at least a stone more fat than you need.</b> I hardly think you're all going to starve. (With the exception of course of any diabetics etc - that could be critical). And I suppose most of them, if they drove in, wouldn't have a decent coat to keep them warm...

Shall I get off you, then?

Oh, cheers, would you? I didn't like to say, but my knees were buckling...[;)]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Shall I get off you, then?

Oh, cheers, would you? I didn't like to say, but my knees were buckling...[;)]

Surely a gentleman would take the weight on his elbows? [:I]