Print your own water resistant maps

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Blatantly lifted from another forum: [;)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Print your own custom waterproof, tear-resistant maps! Designed specifically for inkjet printers, this paper will withstand the rigors of the outdoors. Adventure Paper produces a high-quality image and is easily foldable and temperature-resistant, so you can take it anywhere you want to explore. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://murl.se/25788

anyone tried it?

george

2 Bikes
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes

Comments

• robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    No, but ink-jet inks I have used are usually water soluble ... so the paper might last but probably not the image - unless there is a compatible ink??

Thinking laterally - surely one of the advantages of PC printed maps is that you print them for once-only use? (At least that's what I do - a cycle route is plotted, printed and then the map pages thrown away after the ride)

Rob

MacRide 2007 - 9 Sept at Stratford-on-Avon - raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support - 25/50 miles - & for 2007 MacRide 100Km (Audax style) Details: www.macride.org.uk

Rides at Stratford-on-Avon : www.shakespokes.org.uk - trivia at www.beewee.co.uk
    ----
    FGG 3726
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Haven't used that, I read a favourable review but haven't yet seen a UK price.
    I have used Toughprint from Memory Map, that works well (basic inkjet printer and normal ink)only downside is the price, about 50p a sheet, though it is double sided.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Looks like NG Adventure Paper is only available in the US and in US paper sizes. Toughprint looks like a good option, you can get photocopyable waterproof paper but, it is eye wateringly expensive.

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Just found that you can also get Toughprint Laser Waterproof paper at a much more reasonable price.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • HarryDcp
    HarryDcp Posts: 57
    Epson inks for use in their Stylus printers are what they call smudge resistant & their photo quality coated paper (~80g/sqm) is pretty robust when wet.

We have used this combination for printing orienteering maps for several years now with no adverse comments - despite several thousand single issue maps being used at events from sweaty to heavy rain. Even when wet the ink doesn't run, flake at folds or tear. In additon being phot quality the resolution is excellent. The paper costs around about 16p/A4 sheet.

The maps won't last for ever but are worth a try & the paper is readily available

Ciclista
    Ciclista
  • Icicle19
    Icicle19 Posts: 377
    See also http://www.aquascribe.com haven't checked prices but when I used to do a lot of marine survey work the products offered by this company were good value.
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    Might a laminator be a better option ?
    Ordinary paper/ink, and laminators seem to be getting pretty cheap.
  • ikenbikeit
    ikenbikeit Posts: 32
    Yes - I laminate with a cheapo laminator BUT make sure you buy matt laminating sheets , not glossy - they reflect sunlight.