Chainset/chainline with Goldtec hubs

Green Teeth
Green Teeth Posts: 19
edited July 2007 in Road general
I'm getting ready to do a build-up and would welcome some advice about components. I'm intending to use Goldtec 120mm hubs, which, according to their website, have a 45mm chainline. My question is, which chainset/BB would you recommend? I'm thinking of a Miche Primato Pista Track Chainset because I don't want to spend a fortune, but not being terribly patient, I'd rather spend a bit more if necessary and get one that's likely to drop in with the right chainline.

Has anyone completed a build with Goldtecs? If so which chainset and did it take a lot of faffing about?

GT

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The Miche is a track chainset and designed for a 42mm chainline, and although the bottom bracket has adjustable chainline, you may find the non-drive crank getting close to the chainstay. You will be able to get away with a standard road chainset and BB in single ring configuration - you can pick up a Campagnolo Record or Chorus alloy chainsets pretty cheaply these days - I run one as a single ring on one of my bikes.
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    I think I'm using a 113mm shimano bb with old shimano road chainset on a single ring with my goldtecs. Chainline looks pretty much bang on to me. BB and chainset probably cost less than œ30, got the latter from eBay.

Shimano BBs can lead to a bit of faffing - I'm pretty sure the difference between 107mm and 110mm relates to the NON drive side for example...

The Goldtecs have been fantastic by the way.

Doc
  • I'm even more confused now! I assumed that since the Goldtecs are sold as 'track' hubs they'd be compatible with other track equipment? Is their 45mm chainline actually a road thing then?

GT
  • monty_dogcp
    Track bike chainline is generally 40.5-42mm, whereas the Goldtec hub is 45mm which doesn't meet any agreed standard, therefore for a perfect chainline, the Miche chainset would need to move outboard by the required 3mm. Check out www.sheldonbrown.com for more info.
  • TRcp
    TRcp Posts: 418
    I also have a Goldtec wheel and was hoping to use an existing Campag double chainset (from the 8 speed period) together with the standard 110mm BB. However the chain line seems to fall midway between the two rings - anyone with any experience of Campag - Goldtec combination?
  • johnnocp
    johnnocp Posts: 112
    Ive got a pair of goldtec-hubbed wheels(130) and an SJS steel road frame,68mm BB shell.If I got the Campag chainset and bottom bracket for a double,could I get a different chainring(s) for it?What is the BCD for the Campag chainsets?Also are there different BB widths for doubles?I'd be lookin for a 42 or 44 ring.
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    I think you need to take yourself to a decent bike shop and try a few BB combos... Save yourself from buying one that doesn't work. Sheldon Brown has info on the BCDs of different chainsets. Parkers probably sell the sort of chainring you need.

Doc
  • i'm using a miche track chainset with a miche hub. i fitted he chainset last week and got perfect chainline with no messing, thats on a road frame which hasn't been reset at the back. bit of a bind having to undo the nuts more to let the back end spread to get the wheel out, but no complaints otherwise.
  • MrSmithcp
    MrSmithcp Posts: 10
    i have a miche chainset and bb on my condor pista with 120 goldtec hubs, the stock cog meant the chain was only a fag paper away from the spoke heads, i have fitted an E.A.I gog (1/8) which has resulted in the chain being further away from the spokes and the chainline is now much better and quieter.
    sheldon brown has the measurements of most cogs they vary enough to enable you to tweak your chainline a few mm if a bb swap isn't quite enough or too expensive.
  • Interesting and useful information Mr Smith, thank you. Is it a Miche track chainset and BB you've got?

GT
  • monty_dogcp
    To answer the question on Campag chainset BCD, which is 135mm - suitable 1/8" chainrings are available from Miche and TA. If running 1/8" chain and rings, chainline can be a couple of mm out no problems - it just gets a little noisier.
  • MrSmithcp
    MrSmithcp Posts: 10
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Green Teeth</i>

Interesting and useful information Mr Smith, thank you. Is it a Miche track chainset and BB you've got?

GT
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yes it's a track chainset i think the bb is only available in the one size too.
  • bobajobrob
    bobajobrob Posts: 212
    drhaddock wrote:
    I think I'm using a 113mm shimano bb with old shimano road chainset on a single ring with my goldtecs. Chainline looks pretty much bang on to me. BB and chainset probably cost less than �30, got the latter from eBay.

Shimano BBs can lead to a bit of faffing - I'm pretty sure the difference between 107mm and 110mm relates to the NON drive side for example...

I have an old Shimano 600 crankset and 108mm Shimano BB, chainline is OK but could do with a slightly longer BB, 113mm sounds about right.

I'm not sure which taper the Miche crankset uses. If it's JIS you can use Shimano BBs available in lots of sizes, but if it's ISO (like Campag cranksets) you'll be more limited.