SPD sandals

ian1959
ian1959 Posts: 5
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm considering buying a pair and was wondering if anyone can offer some sizing tips.

My normal shoe size is UK9/EUR43. However, due to the vagaries of Shimano's sizing system and the fact that I have wide feet, I wear size 45 Shimano SPD shoes (M038s I think).

Should I go for similarly-sized sandals? Does the fit differ from the shoes?

I'm not aware of anywhere local that sells them so I can't try them and I'm loathe to purchase mail order if I'm not sure of the size

I'd be grateful for any tips or feedback.

ian1959
ian1959

Comments

• The Shimano sandals are not generous to say the least, so 1st choice for you would be 45-46 (they are all dual sized)

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ian1959</i>

I'm considering buying a pair and was wondering if anyone can offer some sizing tips.

My normal shoe size is UK9/EUR43. However, due to the vagaries of Shimano's sizing system and the fact that I have wide feet, I wear size 45 Shimano SPD shoes (M038s I think).

Should I go for similarly-sized sandals? Does the fit differ from the shoes?

I'm not aware of anywhere local that sells them so I can't try them and I'm loathe to purchase mail order if I'm not sure of the size

I'd be grateful for any tips or feedback.

ian1959
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My normal shoe size is UK9 so is mine and I have 43-44 Shimano sandals

Non Omnis Moriar
  • julk
    julk Posts: 55
    My normal shoe size is UK 9 and my feet are not wide.

I have Shimano shoes size 44 which fit me well and I find comfy.
    My Shimano sandals are 43-44, have plenty of length but are an exact fit for width.
    For me, the Shimano shoes seem to be made on a wider last than the sandals.

I would say that the advice from Paul_Smith to try size 45-46 sandals is good advice for you.
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    Agree with the above - I'm a narrow 9 and have 9 Shimano sandals which are a good fit. Other Shimano shoes are a 10 (~œ30 ones).

Tha sandals are great by the way.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Shimano's sandals have Velcro straps - which means width shouldn't be a real problem as you can simply adjust them to suit your feet.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Depends which model has been seen, the 2007 SD65 version is more of a cutaway shoe than a Sandal, the SD60 is the 2006 version and still available at some outlets and is more of a 'Sandal', although this makes the SD65 less adapatable in terms of size it is however more accurately marked, although if you currently have 45 Shimano shoes then the later version are about the same

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cycladelic</i>

Shimano's sandals have Velcro straps - which means width shouldn't be a real problem as you can simply adjust them to suit your feet.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica
  • Russ76
    Russ76 Posts: 53
    Don't do it ! .....

Fashion mistake of grand proportions ! ;-) !

Will you wear socks with them !?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Don't do it ! .....
    Fashion mistake of grand proportions ! ;-) !
    Will you wear socks with them !?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Socks are <u>not</u> compulsory, not unless you have a beard and ride a touring bike and your at least 20 miles from home[:D]

Non Omnis Moriar
  • ian1959
    ian1959 Posts: 5
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. I ordered a pair of size 45-46 SD65s last night based on the views expressed here. I realise they're more of a cutaway shoe than proper sandals but that'll do me as long as they help cool my feet in hot weather (assuming we ever get some).

I might even wear them with socks and grow a beard just to look the part ;-)

ian1959
    ian1959
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I have the SD60's in 45-46 and they are perfect. My other shoes are Spesh Taho's in 45.

I think you will be very happy - they are great for touring

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Hi

I don't like mine and I'm a size 9. If you want some hardly worn ones email me with an offer pete@infonote.com
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)