Race blades

Bokonon
Bokonon Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Workshop
Something about the summer weather is telling me it is about time to fit some mud guards on my commute bike. As I am using a road/race frame I don't have any mounts for mud guards, so I guess that race blades are the way to go. Therefore I have a few questions:

- Are they any good, ie do they work and are they robust?

- How much clearance is needed between the frame and the wheels in order for them to fit?

- I notice there are 2 versions available, Race Blades and Race Blades XL. What is the difference?

Comments

• Drillercp
    Drillercp Posts: 79
    I have race blades and use them on my Spesh Alez Comp. You only need clearance between the front wheel and the down tube as the blades don't go past the fork crown or the rear brake bridge. They are not as effective as full mudguards but if you have no alternative, they are better than nothing. I rode the Katrine Kapers 200k audax on Sunday, mostly in the pouring rain. Although I was soaked to the skin, at least I didn't have a constant stream of water spaying up my a*s*.

Get some.[:)]

That which does not kill me makes me stronger
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    I think the XL ones are for bikes with slightly wider tyres ie hybrids or cross bikes.
    As driller said - they are effective and quite sturdy. Also very quick to fit and remove.

One word of caution though!!

When you fit them, make sure you protect the frame with additional material. I used mine once and when I removed them to clean the bike I noticed they had badly scratched the frame on the seat stays. As it is a gloss black frame, it stood out like a sore thumb [:(!] Managed to polish it out eventually with T-Cut but I was not best pleased.

They do supply some self adhesive pads but they don't look too effective. I actually cut up an old inner tube in to strips to put under the mounting surfaces and that seemed to work OK.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

Must try harder....
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • they are invaluable!
  • Bokonon
    Bokonon Posts: 28
    Thanks for the replies. I am now satisfied that they are the way to go. I'm not too worried about them damaging my paintwork - the paint is more than a little tired. I just have to wait for it to stop raining so that I can go to the LBS to buy some...
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Raceblades rule...and I keep them on rain or shine.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

A pulse, the whole world has a pulse...and now so does a baby elephant.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Edddddd</i>

they are invaluable!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They are considering the current weather, is it ever going to stop [V]