Trice trike recumbent...

ChrisLS
ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
edited June 2007 in Workshop
...wasn't sure where to post this, but hey, let's go mainstream...so what are they like to ride daily, in traffic, cycle lanes etc. I tried one out at the weekend and am thinking of maybe buying it...[?]
...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...

Comments

• Rob_mcp
    Rob_mcp Posts: 297
    Buy Buy Buy!!

OK - ride daily - no problem - if you carry anything you'll need panniers or a rack bag. Traffic - they don't seem to mind too much - however if you normally slide swiftly through gaps in the queuing traffic they are not so good, Cycle lane generally are wide enough - and many barriers can be ridden under once you take the flag off (note older trikes have the flag just behind the seat which with a bit of practice you can remove while on the move then pretend to joust oncomers with it).

I don't seem to have problem being seen on the road - the bit that worries me is in car parks where people are reversing out of spaces - I'm always extra careful there.

Oh - and be ready for abuse from wandering chavs!
  • ChrisLS
    ...thanks for the reply Rob, I also posted in Cakestop as I thought the post would sink without trace, more positive comments however...thanks again
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I rode a Trice for some 14 years before changing to a Catrike this year. I am an advocate for Trikes and would not be without one as they are fast, fun, stable and carry lots of luggage.

However I am a great believer in informed choice, and would not wish you to be blind to the downside!

1. Trikes are bulkier to store. You need a good bit of garage space (or shed) either floor or wall to store them
    2. Trikes are difficult to get through doors. Depending on the actual model, some are as wide or wider than doors, and require lifting, turning on to their sides and maneouveringthrough
    3. Trikes are as nippy on the road, once you get your confidence they are quicker due to increased stability, you can go faster more safely. (Not an excuse to break speed limits though)However average speed in traffic can be lower as you cannot get through the same gaps as a bike. The same applies to barriers on cycle paths.
    4. Trikes are simply not accepted on trains, so if you tour you need to either drive to the start on one way hire a van.
    5. Trikes do not go into hotels. Whilst you can often persuade a hotel to allow a bike into a room or store it is less easy with a trike.
    6. People talk to you - you cannot stop without someone asking you about the bike
    7. People think you are disabled. People often associate bikes like these with wheelchairs and the racing wheel chairs in particular - be aware of this.
    8.Tyre wear is heavy. As the wheels turn, the relationship between the wheel changes and this causes wear, particularly if you corner fast, "scrub" wears the tyres even faster.

Overall though the good points far outweigh the bad points, I just thought you should be aware

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ChrisLS
    ...Thans Cunobelin, still seems to be more on the plus side for me...
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisLS</i>

...Thans Cunobelin, still seems to be more on the plus side for me...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

which Trice were you after ?... i've got an Explorer i'm prepared to sell

Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.